Finally finished! (Again)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfdeaf

Reaction score
I'm done. That's it. Pffft!

After 21 months on the waiting list, I finally got my custom Carter Deba (and 2 paring knives) to round out my kitchen set. I should blame Stefan for starting me down this path, since he sold me the first one (smaller Funayuki) in 2007.

All are SFGZ White #1 steel, except the parers, which are Blue-Super. Thin is IN!

Jeff (Halfdeaf)

Left to right:
9.3sun Yanagi
7.8sun Funayuki
6.3 sun Nakiri
6.2sun WaBocho
5.8sun Deba
4.5sun Funayuki
2.8sun parer
2.3sun parer

Carter collection.jpg

I see 5 knives that could use new pants. Well?
:justkidding:

Great set!

Gorgeous, congratulations.

A whole set of Carters, wow! 21 months must have felt like a decade.

What did you have in mind when you ordered two parers so close in size to one another? They look like razor sharp little scalpels...very cool.

Thats amazing!

if your gonna get a set all by one maker, I think Carter is one of the best choices out there!

Hi Jeff, good to see you here. Glad I could help ;) Nice collection!

Stefan

Back about the time I first started learning about Japanese knives, Warren had just gotten his custom set of IP damascus knives from Murray. I was smitten! And the "Carter Craze" began on the Forums...

To see what all the buzz was about, I bought the smaller Funayuki from Stefan, who described the SFGZ series as Carter's best value line (I agree).
I added the Wabocho a few months later, then almost immediately found the larger Funayuki/Gyuto.
I wasn't really planning on going completely Carter until I bought the Nakiri.

In March of 2010 I placed a custom order with Murray for a Yanagi; the next day I found one offered for sale, so I changed the order to the Deba.
I began as #44 on the waiting list.

About a year ago, I noticed a paring knife for sale on Murray's web site, but when I went to purchase it, it had already been sold. So I added one (actually 2) to my order. The larger one replaces a Dojo parer I've had for a few years. The smaller one I actually wanted even smaller (skinnier profile top-to-bottom) for coring smaller peppers (serranos, ajis), but it was hard to talk Murray into making it with that thin of a profile...

In honor of my first great knife-lust, I should call this set "Warren Lite"...

Jeff

I also noted that in my previous posts, the term "Wabocho" seems to have been censored into "*******".

Did Wabocho become a dirty word on the Kitchen Knife Forums? What's that all about?!?

The Rebel in me is gonna make me say:

WabochoWabochoWabochoWabochoWabochoWabochoWabochoWabochoWabochoWabochoWabochoWabocho

Back