This is going to get expensive.....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedb

Reaction score
Well hi to all.

I've been devouring the expansive amount of information here and the good news is I have retained some...but I have clearly a long road ahead.

I cook at home daily and enjoy the process, especially that is so different from my day job.

Started with some Chicago Cutlery as a gift, procured Wustoff which I have now, and am looking for something significantly better.
Was given a gift of two Shun knives, and while I could enjoy some aspects, I felt the balance and height geometry were not to my liking....but it held promise.

So hence my search and landing squarely in your parade. Clearly the answer for my search is here....I just need to find my way a bit.

"Unfortunately" Jon at JKI is within driving distance, so I'll have to start looking at funding sources now for this upcoming habit.

Thanks in advance to all, and apologies for my upcoming stupid questions.

Ted

:ntmy:

"Unfortunately" Jon at JKI is within driving distance, so I'll have to start looking at funding sources now for this upcoming habit.

Problem solved! You folks in CA are lucky to have him.

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on having access to Jon! Hanging around him will shorten your learning curve dramatically, and he won't sell you anything that you should not have.

You are probably correct that this will become very expensive. You are wise beyond your post count ;)

With that said, there is probably no better person than Jon (locally) to guide you through a sharpening and knife set up that will have amazing value and fit your needs. And a lot of others here can also give great advice. Jon actually talked me into a cheaper knife one time.

k.

Welcome!

Piece of advice when visiting Jon's store: however much time you think you're going to spend there, TRIPLE IT. You will not want to leave. Knives to see, (perhaps some) knives to try. Stone to see, stones to try. Decisions to make...which knives and stones to buy?!? Darn it, I'm hyperventilating again. Seriously, it's a pretty cool place for a knife knut to visit.

Welcome!

Piece of advice when visiting Jon's store: however much time you think you're going to spend there, TRIPLE IT. You will not want to leave. Knives to see, (perhaps some) knives to try. Stone to see, stones to try. Decisions to make...which knives and stones to buy?!? Darn it, I'm hyperventilating again. Seriously, it's a pretty cool place for a knife knut to visit.

A new year's resolution is to visit his store! Not that far away, just need to commit a Saturday morning.

I'm glad I don't live too close to Jon's store. It's hard enough to control oneself sometimes just based on his website and photos. I don't think my financial resolve would last long seeing and holding the wares in person.

Welcome, Ted! Jon'll steer you to some good choices that *technically* you could stick with forever and be happy with. I guess you already know you won't be stopping there, though. How far you slip down the slippery slope after your first fix is up to you :) BTW, there are no stupid questions when one is new to an area so full of variety, nuance, and arcane terminology :)

A new year's resolution is to visit his store! Not that far away, just need to commit a Saturday morning.

Make that afternoon. He opens at 12 on the weekends.

And I'm not ashamed that I didn't have to look that up.

Thanks for confirming and extending my worst fears.....apparently I've just stepped into quicksand.....but am looking forward to the journey.
Appreciate the warm welcome.

Ted

Back