Is it too short?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Burke

Reaction score
So I have a honyaki yanagi made from tamahagane, that due to unforseen circumstances is 210 mm long. most of the yanagis that I sell are 270 or longer. Is 210 too short?

Way too short. I would be happy to get it out of your sight, so you don't have to worry about it.

whats the knuckle clearance like? maybe this is a line knife? pics?

It's a bit short, but not unheard of - some makers offer yanagis as short as 180mm.

However, almost all high-end yanagis, are 300-300 mm long.

M

PS: You guys (SpikeC and Kalaeb) have no shame. :)

Bill - thanks for the advice on Black Ice. The results are great

Way too short. I would be happy to get it out of your sight, so you don't have to worry about it.

Spike, you are much to far away. I will drive up and take care of it.

But no, it's short, but not too short. Jin makes a few that are as short and shorter. Although I am definately not a yanagi expert I would think it still has uses.

thanks for the quick responces guys. As for knuckle clearance, I haven't put a handle on it as yet because of the length but if i get a pinch grip with my index finger and thumb and my middle finget under the ricasso area my knuckle just touches the board. But the way I was shown to cut with a yanagi the handle is never over the board, is that right?

Nope, not too short. Just good for different tasks. Sometimes shorty yanagis like that are used for beef and whatnot.

I have a 180 or 210 yanagi that I use for slicing duck breast, cleaning silverskin and other small tasks. Still useable.

And yes, most yanagi tasks are not done with your hand over the board. The utility nature of the smaller ones changes this slightly, but I don't have a problem w mine and it doesn't have a lot of clearance. I use a fingertip grip.

Scott has some video on doing butchering with a small yanagi. And as some mention here, can make a good line knife in a pro kitchen. Lot of lines 180-210 is all you need for slicing protein, herbs, produce and etc because of space. There are so many tasks that a smaller knife excels more naturally at than a larger knife and visa verse. A TRUE knife nut will find a use for any knife! :p >>>>>>>> specially a Burke, DUH

I really like that size of knife for a lot of misc purposes.

I was curious about knives this size and made this thread about them. I'd say it isn't too short, it would just be used as a sort of slicer/petty. 210 pettys are quite popular and I think I might get a 210 yanagi in the future

If it was too short what would you do with it? If it could be reforged....

If it was too short what would you do with it? If it could be reforged....

throw it in the scrap bucket until I figured out something else to do with it. Probably add it to some other scrap pieces and reforge into something useful. or maybe finish it off and use it myself.

That's probably what I would do.

210 yanagi are in my intrest arena, just not something I can afford at this time :p

Yours sounds pretty good :)

Not too short for me. About perfect for home use in a small kitchen. With little to no counter space, I have to make room to use anything much longer than that. 210 is about as long as I want to go.

On the sushi bar guys doing rolls prefer 210's and guys doing pieces prefer 270's. Don't know if this is similar other places or if we just copy each other.

I am sad that I am the first one saying this. I think some photos would help us decide if it is too short.... So lets see it!

-Chuck

I will get it presentable and post up some pictures in the next day or so.

I am sad that I am the first one saying this. I think some photos would help us decide if it is too short.... So lets see it!

-Chuck

Latest posts

Back