Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Prototypes

Knife Prototypes

I have to spec out a custom suji that I am in line for with Devin, and I want to get a feel for geometry first. For a non-knifemaker who doesn't have steel, grinders and belts galore around does anyone have any low-tech suggestions for making prototypes to work out an ideal profile? I think Dave used cardboard for his prototype knives.

Anyone have a tips to make this process better?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I use a carboard cutout to get an initial reference, and then profile a blank and keep making adjustments until it looks OK.

Wood would be better than carboard, but you need to profile it still. If you want, send you your outline (email attachment is OK) and I will profile it on a piece of wood. I can send you a wooden profile for 250 suji along this one.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Thanks, I may take you up on that. And if you have already done the 250 prototype for my knife, then sure, send it on. My Devin suji is going to be 270 though. I do have a belt grinder, so I will probably take a whack at it myself too.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Go to a hobby store, pick up a piece of balsa or bass wood, you can rough it with an exacto knife, and smooth it with sand paper to profile.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

+1
    Use a granite or glass lined with sand paper to get a nice profile on it.

M

get a thin sheet of granite and an angle grinder. you don't want your template flexing on you, now do you?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

How thin do you get it? I actually live in one of the granite centers of the US, so rock is plentiful. My small town actually supplies a lot of granite for the monuments in DC.

k.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    How thin do you get it? I actually live in one of the granite centers of the US, so rock is plentiful. My small town actually supplies a lot of granite for the monuments in DC.

k.
    No, granite or glass for a flat surface, so you glue some 80 grit sand paper on it and put a nice profile (heel to tip transition) on your balsa knife. You would be cursing me if you try to put a profile on a granite blank.

M

Basswood.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    No, granite or glass for a flat surface, so you glue some 80 grit sand paper on it and put a nice profile (heel to tip transition) on your balsa knife. You would be cursing me if you try to put a profile on a granite blank.

M
    Yeah, I understood that, it was just how spike phrased it that it sounded like he was profiling granite, so I was curious.

k.