Quantcast
San Mai Elmax super steel with a damascus cladding. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: San Mai Elmax super steel with a damascus cladding.

Del, when you heat treat those super high alloy PM steels at 1900-1975, how close are you getting to the temperature where they will sinter/forge weld?
    Quote Originally Posted by Delbert Ealy View Post
    Sometimes you just have to learn these things for yourself. I read the title of the post and thought to myself, no way he's done this, and I have to admit that when I saw the line about molten stainless squirting out, I laughed. Not because it was funny, molten steel shooting at you is not funny(I know, I have had this happen too). There is a reason there are so few stainless steels used for damascus and for forging. The high alloy content in steels like elmax lowers the overall melting temperature of the steel, combined with the intense pressure from the press which lowers the melting temp even more explains what happened.
    Thanks,
    Del

I figured you guys would get a giggle reading this. and yea, Thank God everything and everyone is OK!! I even got a couple phone calls today from guys who were still laughing so hard they had to call and laugh at me in person! lolol Thanks guys!!

BUT, Like I said, I just cant leave well enough alone and am always pushing to try new stuff and or testing something.. If were not trying something new and exciting theres somethings missing in my shop. So im ordering some more elmax and a few others and gona keep up the R&D and continue on my quest to make some of the sickest most amazing san mia available!! Oh yes, We will!

But we wont make that mistake again! lol

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Hey, but you got to see it! I wish I'd seen it. Molten steel shooting out in every direction, starting fires. Sounds awesome.

Correction.....up to 2100 for some of the PM steels!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Del, when you heat treat those super high alloy PM steels at 1900-1975, how close are you getting to the temperature where they will sinter/forge weld?

LOL, Yep, I was ducking for cover.. yelling at Jr. to stop.. It was sorta funny!

Back to the drawing board. I have a NEW plan.. Ill keep you guys updated and we should have something sweet to work with soon!!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Yikes! Glad you two are ok!
    This might sound like a dumb question, but is it possible to forge the elmax core at a lower temp, while having a separate bar (different material) for the cladding going at a higher temp, then sandwiching them together at two different temperatures? I have a feeling this isn't doable, but who knows. I'm guessing you'd need two forges and that the hotter cladding would affect the core temperature. I'm just curious....
    Lefty, Thanks for the suggestion, I dont think that would work. Stainless is tricky and needs special treatment when forge welding it. But who am I to give advise, after this post! LOL

Availible Knives

You guys need to get a webcam going. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    LOL, Yep, I was ducking for cover.. yelling at Jr. to stop.. It was sorta funny!

Back to the drawing board. I have a NEW plan.. Ill keep you guys updated and we should have something sweet to work with soon!!
    LOL! Yeah liquid metal squirting at you under pressure is only funny AFTER the fact. BTDT.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    You guys need to get a webcam going. Lol.
    The HHH Knives SURVIVORCAM

Guys on the west coast had the same thing happen with their initial workings of timascus