Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery 2012 pre-order profiles and options.

send me a quote on that for a 240mm cutting edge (250-255 ferrule to tip), plain handle

Great stuff, If anyone else would like a plain clad option, just let me know.

Just wanted to add that Will's heat treat of blue 2 is pretty much spot on IMO. I have a blue core honesuki he HT'd for me and it goes through chicken bones with no sign of any edge damage, even though I've been being intentionally rough to see how far I can push it. In comparison my hattori hd vg-10 honesuki has microchipped with a much more obtuse bevel and with me being less rough with it

Thanks Tom, yep its amazing stuff, on testing I was secretly hoping I would find it overrated. The thing that amazes me is what it takes on such a thin edge. Edges which you would not normally dream of boning out a joint or pushing through chicken bones. I'm finding 01 very very good as well, the only catch is i'm finding the 01 much harder on the hones at the same hardness so I like it a tad lower at 60/61 where it also takes a great deal of abuse on a fine polished edge. The 01 doesn't feel as sharp but it is, It does look a tad smaller grained than the blue on the grain shots, which makes sense. Might have to try some 01 on a razor for those smooth edge characteristics.
    The digital gear is really helping in terms of confidence in a more precisely repeatable HT now I know where I want it.

I'd probably be lookin' at plain clad blue as well
    Len

I'd be interested in plain clad blue also. Perhaps put a price on your site for it? Your prices seem pretty reasonable, particularly for those in the UK, for knives I get from the States I generally add on about $100 for shipping and Customs and all that. Usually a little less for Japan. A couple of questions. Will all the handles be the same as those in the pictures? Another one. Since you offer gyutos in a range of 220-260, do the knives get bigger in terms of their overall dimensions as well as length? For example, would a 260 be taller than a 240 or just longer? If that's a dumb question just say

Cool, thanks Len.
    Hello Steven, yep I'll update the blog, these will be custom knives so my profiles are a starting point. Handle length and tweaks to the profile according to your personal taste are all doable. The only restriction is on depth of the blade really, I can only get blue paper steel in 30mm wide strips at the moment. I will be able to forge some width on the billets when welding but probably no more than 52mm.
    i'm looking at using pure nickel as a carbon barrier, but would add a few quid. The en9/blue paper tested very very well anyway.

I've updated a plan clad/blue core option to my pricing on the blog. I will make the first batch of these knives in February. All those who are confirmed I will check your final profile before commencing. Anyone considering getting in on the first batch let me know. I have a little more work to do with the stainless clad and stainless damascus clad before I can add price options. There could be stainless options in a batch 2, please let me know if that appeals. i can give you an idea of pricing and get an idea of interest and numbers. Many thanks, looking forward to getting on and making some great knives in february.

WillC: Why not go from Blue Paper to 52100?

Olvind, Blue paper 2 fits the bill nicely. My decision to use it was based on destruction and practical testing. I really love this steel. Plus the ht parameters work perfectly with my damascus. It is presently a pain getting it in anything other than small bars, but I'm working on that. I've nothing against 52100 if I can find a reliable source I would certainly test it as an alternative especially if it ended up easier to get in whole sheets. But Blue 2 is a great steel in my opinion, takes a great edge at around 62hrc easy to sharpen and is very resistant to chipping or folding. I have been using a test petty, with a very thin edge to bone out joints, go through chicken bones. The steel takes it easily even on an edge designed for vegetables. What is more it stays sharp through the process. This impresses me quite a bit.