Quantcast
HF belt sander on sale - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HF belt sander on sale

*edit*

New question.

What does it take to attach the leather straps on here to make a leather belt? As in, how do I seal the 1x30 strip of leather. I live in DFW and there are well stocked leather shops around here, and if I can make the leather belts on the cheap, this would be in my immediate budget.

Making leather belts sounds easier than it is. You need to skive the joints (not easy on thin leather which you have to use on this sander because the belt path is narrow), glue the joint together even and smooth, and then tape the backside for security. I've made some really killer belts and some real crap ones, some held together great, others slapped me in the face after a few rotations. In the end I lost money and went back to buying them pre-made.

Would this sander be more useful: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...der-93981.html
    or would the OP's 1" work just fine for re-handling knives.

Leather belt makes this little thing worth it just alone, power strop rocks! Best to beef up the platen, I glued plate glass to it.

I was looking at that plate, I was thinking a rubber pad would protect the edge if something should happen.

Anyone, any thoughts?

There is a HF like 2 blocks from my house, so I went and checked it out.

I've never seen such a place! It's like a novelty hardware store!

Quote Originally Posted by spinblue View Post
    I was looking at that plate, I was thinking a rubber pad would protect the edge if something should happen.

Anyone, any thoughts?
    I'd use leather, but if your sharpening you should be using the slack part of the belt, just in front of the plate. Also I'd get some cheep knives to practice on first as there is a bit of a learning curve to sharpening on a grinder. I used the "shop knives" at my restaurant. You can get a "kitchen knife lot" on eBay for cheep sometime 10+ knives for under $10.
    But as I sad before this little baby with a leather belt will keep your knives crazy sharp & there is not much of a curve with he leather belt

+ Reply to Thread