Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb needs help on japanese knife purchase.

Newb needs help on japanese knife purchase.

Hello all,
    Looking to enter into the japanese knife market for the first time. Looking to maybe purchase a nakiri, as it seems so perfect for vegetables or a deba because I always by my fish whole and beak down myself.
    Any brand suggestions!
    Also had anyone had any experience with Unique Japan Kurimoro line.
    Www.uniquejapan.com

P.s. I'm left-handed.

Bill

The first thing you should do if your in Chicago is visit Nortwestern Cutlery if you havent already been there.

They dont carry the more elusive brands but they have a great selection of Shun/Global/Henckels/MAC/Kikuichi, it would certainly get you started. They also have a great selection of stones, they now carry the full range of glass stones. The main guy there Marty is very knowledgable and will answer all your questions.

Alan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Bill

The first thing you should do if your in Chicago is visit Nortwestern Cutlery if you havent already been there.

They dont carry the more elusive brands but they have a great selection of Shun/Global/Henckels/MAC/Kikuichi, it would certainly get you started. They also have a great selection of stones, they now carry the full range of glass stones. The main guy there Marty is very knowledgable and will answer all your questions.

Alan
    Thank you Alan, I have never been there before and will stop in next week.
    Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. D. Burnham

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

You should start with a double bevel knife. Single bevel knives (like deba, yanagiba, and usuba) pose extra challenges that are best faced with some previous experience. A nakiri would be a good choice, but most people here are gyuto fans.
    The yoshihiro line at JKI is a nice entry level knife. http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...yoshihiro.html

Thanks for the info. The gyuto is definitely on my list for the future. I was looking at the nakiri because my old chinese cleaver is on its last leg and I figured if I wasn't crazy about it, it could at least replace my cleaver. The Yoshihiro line looks like a good place to start.

+1 on the Yoshihiros.

welcome

Welcome!

A Nakiri won't replace a Chinese Cleaver, but it is a handy knife if you are cutting mostly veggies.

Don't forget to check out Japanese Knife Imports! Jon only carries top notch stuff, and if you want to know what good Japanese knives look like, look no further.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Welcome!

A Nakiri won't replace a Chinese Cleaver, but it is a handy knife if you are cutting mostly veggies.

Don't forget to check out Japanese Knife Imports! Jon only carries top notch stuff, and if you want to know what good Japanese knives look like, look no further.
    Thank you for the info. I only used my chinese clever when I cooked stir fry to cut veggies. 75% of everything I cook starts out with onions, green peppers, garlic, celery or tamatoes. Plus always have one or two veggies on the side. Love and cook a lot of veggies. Japanese Knife Imports will be my stop on the web.

I've enjoyed using the Yoshihiro SKD nakiri, if that really is what you are looking for. I've gifted one, too with very good feedback.