Newb needs help on japanese knife purchase.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelbill

Reaction score
Hello all,
Looking to enter into the japanese knife market for the first time. Looking to maybe purchase a nakiri, as it seems so perfect for vegetables or a deba because I always by my fish whole and beak down myself.
Any brand suggestions!
Also had anyone had any experience with Unique Japan Kurimoro line.
Www.uniquejapan.com

P.s. I'm left-handed.

Bill

The first thing you should do if your in Chicago is visit Nortwestern Cutlery if you havent already been there.

They dont carry the more elusive brands but they have a great selection of Shun/Global/Henckels/MAC/Kikuichi, it would certainly get you started. They also have a great selection of stones, they now carry the full range of glass stones. The main guy there Marty is very knowledgable and will answer all your questions.

Alan

Bill

The first thing you should do if your in Chicago is visit Nortwestern Cutlery if you havent already been there.

They dont carry the more elusive brands but they have a great selection of Shun/Global/Henckels/MAC/Kikuichi, it would certainly get you started. They also have a great selection of stones, they now carry the full range of glass stones. The main guy there Marty is very knowledgable and will answer all your questions.

Alan

Thank you Alan, I have never been there before and will stop in next week.

You should start with a double bevel knife. Single bevel knives (like deba, yanagiba, and usuba) pose extra challenges that are best faced with some previous experience. A nakiri would be a good choice, but most people here are gyuto fans.
The yoshihiro line at JKI is a nice entry level knife. http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/yoshihiro.html

Thanks for the info. The gyuto is definitely on my list for the future. I was looking at the nakiri because my old chinese cleaver is on its last leg and I figured if I wasn't crazy about it, it could at least replace my cleaver. The Yoshihiro line looks like a good place to start.

Welcome!
:ntmy:

A Nakiri won't replace a Chinese Cleaver, but it is a handy knife if you are cutting mostly veggies.

Don't forget to check out Japanese Knife Imports! Jon only carries top notch stuff, and if you want to know what good Japanese knives look like, look no further.

Welcome!
:ntmy:

A Nakiri won't replace a Chinese Cleaver, but it is a handy knife if you are cutting mostly veggies.

Don't forget to check out Japanese Knife Imports! Jon only carries top notch stuff, and if you want to know what good Japanese knives look like, look no further.

Thank you for the info. I only used my chinese clever when I cooked stir fry to cut veggies. 75% of everything I cook starts out with onions, green peppers, garlic, celery or tamatoes. Plus always have one or two veggies on the side. Love and cook a lot of veggies. Japanese Knife Imports will be my stop on the web.

I've enjoyed using the Yoshihiro SKD nakiri, if that really is what you are looking for. I've gifted one, too with very good feedback.

You mentioned a deba, I've used several and prefer the mioroshi deba over the others. Not a great vegetable knife though. If you're going to use it to break down whole fish like you said, it will do perfectly.

Most will agree that you don't need a deba to break down MOST whole fish, and it is size dependent even then. You theoretically (except collaring) could do tuna of any size with a 5" petty, but it would involve alot of using one arm to hold up portions of loin as you were doing it messy and slower.

My real point is, if this gentleman is using it to break down fish for home use and even small parties, he might be better served by a 5" petty or a sujihiki to 300mm. As far as a personal knife, I break down most fish (striped bass and fluke/flounder) that I catch myself with a fujiwara fkm 150mm. I used to use 7-9" carbon usa made dexters, then carbon fujiwaras, and now these. the price is right and they hold an edge and take one EXTREMELY well for the price/steel. If your looking higher end, misono makes some fine ones though they get pricey. Japanese authentic, I would go Mizuno!

Back