Fresh Start

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
2011 has had many ups and downs for me, so I am glad it is over and look forward to a fresh start - literally, today (going to heat treat a few knives and grind one).

I am planning to organize my time better (work time and family obligations), so I have more time for fun stuff - making knives and accessories and cooking. Hopefully, 2012 will be a very productive year.

Happy 2012 everybody!

M

Happy New Year, Marko! and much success

Thanks guys, I wish you the same!

Yes, I hope it will be an interesting and a productive year. There are many things I would like to do (brief summary below), so I have to think hard how to make it happen.

- A few new types of knives (true) single-beveled and double-beveled (yanagi, honesuki, a new profile for a Western handle gyuto, Western handle knives option, etc)
- New Heat Treatment method (for carbon and stainless)
- 3 new steels (carbon and 2 stainless) and on lookout for more
- Resume woodworking - boards, storage and other accessories (miss woodworking)
- Possibly new workshop space (better setup, but mainly to get out of a basement where humidity is an issue in the summer)
- Improve efficiency and to introduce ready-made knives in addition to custom-made (one only way to stay competitive).

If all these happen in 2012 to the extend I envision, it would be a very productive year.

M

Probably not, but won't hurt to ask. I would make exception for some knives that I have a soft spot for and some of mine customers.

To be able to offer custom sayas and handles reasonably priced, I would need to hire somebody and train him as I don't have time to do this myself (between knife-making and some upcoming accessories-making). These would be separately branded and priced accordingly, but would be made to my specs and quality (I will oversee all of that). It's not in the plans at the moment, but would not exclude it as a possibility in not so a distant future. I have been getting a lot of requests and unfortunately, turning them down. So this might be a way to address it.

M

Happy New Year and best of luck with your future endeavors, Marko!

Sounds like you have a plan for the year. Good luck with it in the new year.

Happy New Year Marko! 2012 sounds like an exciting year for you. All of your plans sound great to me, and I wish you every success. Love that you are starting today!

I wish I took advantage of your wood working before you started down the knife route. Just too new to knives.

+1

Happy New Year Marco. Much success to you in this new year! Looks like your starting it out with a BANG! :)

Thanks guys. This is more of thinking aloud and self-motivation. :)

The 2011 was a year of trying. I hope 2012 will be a year of making. I think about how to improve all the time, but up to this point it has been all about quality and not efficiency. Now I have to turn my attention to efficiency, as without some changes, my current model (and pricing) won't make it.

I hope (and wish) it is going to be a good year for all of us (members and fellow knife-makers), with many exciting new things learned along the way.

Marko

Happy new year and good luck with your resolution! :)

How do you feel about long distance apprenticeships

Good Luck Brother:thumbsup:............Now get back to work:D

Happy New Year ... I am sure your hard work and determination will lead you to your goals

Latest posts

Back