Quantcast
How Do Knives Get Magnetized?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do Knives Get Magnetized?

How Do Knives Get Magnetized?

I have two knives that have become magnetized. One is a shi*ty Cutco I married into and it was stored on a magnetic knife rack, so I assumed that had something to do with it, but now one of my Rodrigue parers is magnetized (at least I first noticed it today). I don't store it on a mag rack. How does this happen?

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Magnetization from magnetic blocks (Mag-Block) is pretty insignificant and should be unnoticeable to a naked eye, but if a knife was ground from a Damascus billet or thinned blank that was in turn surface-ground on a magnetic chuck (magnetic chuck holds a part when engaged), and the part was not de-magnetized afterwards, the magnetization would remain. I have experienced it once - you actually see the poles of the magnets appear on your knife while you are hand-finish it - the way slurry arranges itself. That would be one explanation.

A tool shop in your area would have a de-magnetizer.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Impact can cause. Take your cheap Costco and smack it with a hammer and see if it goes away.

-AJ

I second smacking the cutco with a hammer, but for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I second smacking the cutco with a hammer, but for different reasons.
    Good one Eamon. LOL.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

This is a crazy offer but if anyone ever sends a knife to me and wants it demagnetized please just ask because I've got one of the machines to do that sitting in a draw here and I'd be more than happy to take the 30 sec to hook it up.

What would be the main problem with magnetized knives? Apart from it makes re-handling a pain because the metal fileings are a pain to get off.

Seems like it might make it a more effective tool. I can cut prime rib, and reach that bolt I dropped behind the refrigerator.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    What would be the main problem with magnetized knives? Apart from it makes re-handling a pain because the metal fileings are a pain to get off.

Seems like it might make it a more effective tool. I can cut prime rib, and reach that bolt I dropped behind the refrigerator.
    Depending on how your kitchen is set up, and how highly magnetized your blade is, I'm guessing it might be a safety risk for some.

If your knife is magnetized it will pull the iron out of your beef and reduce the nutritional value.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Depending on how your kitchen is set up, and how highly magnetized your blade is, I'm guessing it might be a safety risk for some.
    Strangely enough, this is a little bit of a concern. The Rodrigue parer is balanced such that if I give it a little nudge with my finger, it will just rotate perfectly on axis a half dozen times or so. It has happened a few times that nearby metal has pulled, pushed or dragged the blade in a direction. It isn't that much of a concern, but I have thought about it. I basically don't want it to move and I accidentally knock it on the floor or something.

k.

+ Reply to Thread