Next (2nd) j-nat .. where to go from here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin0505

Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been rubbing metal on abrasives since before I was 10yrs old. However, it wasn't until a few months back that I picked up my first Japanese natural stone from Jon @ JKI (a Takashima Awasedo LINK).

It was more a purchase out of long building curiosity and less so something that I thought that I would really fall in love with / jump on the j-nat crazy train. Boy was I wrong: I totally love it. I foolishly always thought that abrasion was abrasion was abrasion... I never thought that a stone could have the kind of character and versatility that this thing has. I would compare the eye-opening, paradigm shift of going from synthetic stones to my 1st natural to holding / using a hand-forged blade for the first time after previously only using production blades.

So, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I now have added yet another category to my list of expensive addictions and have started to look around / think about my next j-nat purchase.

I have a basic understanding of how natural stones "work" and the differences and pros/cons of hard and soft stones. I would say that my Takashima Awasedo is fairly fine (maybe 8-15k ish?) and fairly soft (gives up mud very easily). I don't think that a courser stone would get as much use as I still really love my Gesshin 4K and seldom need to go coarser.
So, I'm thinking that it might make sense (I'm aware that "sense" is relative term when talking about ridiculous hobbies and obsessions) to try something a bit harder and finer next. Maybe something in the 10-20K+ range?

So what would you more experience j-nat addicts recommend / suggest that I look at?

Thanks!
-J

Talk to Maksim about your options I am sure he will find you something you like.

yup... i tell people the same thing. Maxim knows what he's talking about and should be able to find you something to pair with the takashima

Thanks guys! I've been quietly stalking Maxim's site for awhile now and as per all of the glowing recommendations, I start budgeting for a future conversation and purchase...
I am doing a lot of reading an slowly learning, but the main thing that I have learned again and again is that the takashima was (in comparison) a very affordable gateway to a very expensive addiction.
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back