Quantcast
Cooking modernist at home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking modernist at home

Cooking modernist at home

After seeing all the love for the modernist cuisine books here, I was wondering if you guys that have it actually cook some of the stuff there. I use most off those chemicals, that are mentioned, at work and they don't seem that appetizing, but some of the final products do sound cool.

Totally not. I've got some tricks with complex explanations--like putting a dab of baking soda on onions if I want them to caramelize in seconds--but I don't buy the agar agar and liquid nitro for dinner.

Wait, what? Baking soda on onions = caramelization?

Prepare to be amazed. Just a tiny pinch in a whole pan. The onions get mushy though, which is cool for sauce.

Modernist cuisine the book goes beyond the hydrocoloides .... It challenges a lot of classic technique and proves there are different ways to get similar or in some cases better results with new methods is fascinating ....with that being said a high percentage of what is in the books would be tough to execute in a pro kitchen let alone your home...still a good read in my opinion

really?!? before or after the heat?
    what's the sequence? heat pan, add onion, and b-soda? or do you add them to them to the onions cold?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    really?!? before or after the heat?
    what's the sequence? heat pan, add onion, and b-soda? or do you add them to them to the onions cold?
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/01/t...wl-recipe.html

Brilliant! I am going to do a stuffed pork tenderloin tonight and this will really enhance the stuffing!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Wait, what? Baking soda on onions = caramelization?
    it's shocking how well it works. as Eamon said, though, it is only good for situations where it doesn't matter if the onions are soft.

Thanks for the link!
    For anyone else interested, the exact procedure was listed under the recipe:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/real-french-onion-dip-recipe.html

I don't know how I went so long without coming across that site, but I'll sure be going back there again. Thanks again for the tip!