Cooking modernist at home

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
After seeing all the love for the modernist cuisine books here, I was wondering if you guys that have it actually cook some of the stuff there. I use most off those chemicals, that are mentioned, at work and they don't seem that appetizing, but some of the final products do sound cool.

Totally not. I've got some tricks with complex explanations--like putting a dab of baking soda on onions if I want them to caramelize in seconds--but I don't buy the agar agar and liquid nitro for dinner.

Prepare to be amazed. Just a tiny pinch in a whole pan. The onions get mushy though, which is cool for sauce.

Modernist cuisine the book goes beyond the hydrocoloides .... It challenges a lot of classic technique and proves there are different ways to get similar or in some cases better results with new methods is fascinating ....with that being said a high percentage of what is in the books would be tough to execute in a pro kitchen let alone your home...still a good read in my opinion

really?!? before or after the heat?
what's the sequence? heat pan, add onion, and b-soda? or do you add them to them to the onions cold?

Brilliant! I am going to do a stuffed pork tenderloin tonight and this will really enhance the stuffing!

Wait, what? Baking soda on onions = caramelization?

it's shocking how well it works. as Eamon said, though, it is only good for situations where it doesn't matter if the onions are soft.

Back