Quantcast
Sharpening - how do you make your edges?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpening - how do you make your edges?

Sharpening - how do you make your edges?

Inspired by another thread.

What do you try to accomplish when sharpening your knifes - toothy edges, scary sharp edges etc.

How do you get your edges to be ecaxtly as you want?

What kind of grit progress?
    Do you use synthetic, naturals or a combo of both?
    Do you strop - if you do ... then what do you use?

I tend to lean towards somewhat toothy, but refined edges. My standard sharpening is:
    1k King, 6k Suehiro, strop on newsprint.
    My favourite for scary sharp carbon is:
    1k King, approx. 8k Suita (to give it a grit value), strop on newsprint. I find this combo gives less tooth, but more of a razor edge. I also tend to purposely convex my edges to maximize durability and to take away faceting.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I tend to lean towards somewhat toothy, but refined edges. My standard sharpening is:
    1k King, 6k Suehiro, strop on newsprint.
    My favourite for scary sharp carbon is:
    1k King, approx. 8k Suita (to give it a grit value), strop on newsprint. I find this combo gives less tooth, but more of a razor edge. I also tend to purposely convex my edges to maximize durability and to take away faceting.
    Interesting

On my white 1 I usually go 1000 and 5000 ... followed by stropping on paper
    My INOX is tuffer. On this I need to use 400, 1000, 3000 and 5000 grit (to make deburring as easy as possible). I strop on paper to finish of + run a few times thru cork.

Don't have any naturals yet ... so synthetics are used.

i convex nearly all of my edges. my current standard progression, from dull to finished, is a King 800 followed by an aoto (was a blue synthetic, but it finally fell apart, so i have a green brick incoming), then a suehiro 8000, followed by light finishing on a kitayama. i find that this gives a highly refined yet aggressive edge on most of my knives. i use a ss 10k to polish out bevels, but i don't usually use it on the actual edge, much. i sometimes stop with .5 CrO or .25 diamond on balsa, when i feel like it, but i rarely do, anymore. i find that the right amount of pressure on the kitayama gives most of the refinement benefits of stropping without taking away the toothiness. i kind of want to get a Rika, but i find that varying the pressure and slurry on the aoto allows me to go right to the 8000 stone. i'm sure i'll end up with a Rika, as i've really liked every suehiro stone i've owned (i kinda miss the 6k stone that i sold to a friend, and i occasionally use my 800 when i want to take off more steel than the king, but less than my bester 500). i have, and have had, a bunch of other stones, but i find this simple progression to work great. i'd love to get natural stones, but it seems like too much of a money sink, right now.

Depends on the knife.
    Standard Solingen stainless: (400 Chosera), 1000 Chosera, Newspaper
    High Quality stainless: (400 Chosera), 1000 Chosera, 3000 Chosera, Newspaper
    Carbon: (400 Chosera), 1000 Chosera, 3000 Chosera, 5000 Chosera, Newspaper

In the near future I want to try the Takashima Awasedo as finisher for my Carbons, but just to have something new to play with, because my knives are plenty sharp with the setup I already have.

usually just a 1k (king), 6k (arashiyama) and newspaper strop (NYTimes LOL). I'm just looking for an edge that shaves smoothly, which, as far as kitchen tasks are concerned, is usually more than sufficient.

Shaves the face, or arm smoothly? If you mean the face, I need to learn from you for my straight....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Shobudani asagi with asano naguri gets my razor face shaving smoooooth.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sponsors
    For debas and some softer steel western i stop at Aotos. For hard western knives i go to hakka or soft Jnat. For Yanagis or my Muki i take the hard Jnats
    i am also begin to use Daves felt pad between the stones with very good result But usually for softer steels with pitta bure

+ Reply to Thread