Quantcast
Sharpening - how do you make your edges? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening - how do you make your edges?

I quit stropping on leather, and just finish by stropping on my 5K and I've been liking my edges better this way...refined with a bit of toothiness, and retention actually seems better (but that might just be placebo)

600-1200-5000

This is what I use for all my double bevels with glowing results, except I leave the honesuki with a rougher finish. Still use felt/diamond to deburr between each stone though.

Beston 500, 800 king, 1200 bester, 4000 king, 6000 king, 8000 king, 1 micron boron, .5 cr oxide... Don't really use them all... depends on what i feel like using... sometimes I just go for 1200 and 4000 if my edge doesn't need that much work... but lately, I barely use the 6k, 8k and strops... I just stop on the 4k and take out as much wire edge as I possibly can by deburring every after stone... and it cuts perfect... and the edge lasts longer too...

Also... if I'm not doing anything... i'd go through the full progression up to cromium oxide and maybe cut some paper and feel happy...

Depending on the knife and how I'm planning on using it, I do a lot of different things. Sometimes I put several kinds of edges on different parts of the same knife. The standard treatment is: Gesshin 400 to G1k to G5k to 8k anything and strop on 1 micron anything, for a dead edge. I spend very little time on anything 5k and above. If I'm looking to liven up an edge, I'll start higher than 400.

Depends on what i need done and what knife I'm using. Honesuki, and petty i only take to up to a 1k edge and strop on newspaper, or my Takashima if i have it out.

Normally i go from Gesshin 400, to King 1k, to suherio 6k, and finish on the Takashima for my gyuto and sujis.

I don't normally spend much time on the 400 and use light pressure. I will take some time on the 1k and make sure to try to remove the burr before moving up to 6k. I use cork and edge trailing strokes as well as light pressure as i start to finish up. Don't spend much time on the 6k stone maybe a few minutes. Then i go to the j-nat and i take my time there, i don't have a nagura( i think thats how you spell it) so i usually start off with decent pressure and once i get mud building up i will just that to help refine and polish it.

I find that even though the takashima is a very refined edge it is still very toothy which is great for me.

i must say... newspaper really does work...

anybody has an idea how it works? does it refine the edge? can it remove burrs?

I agree with whoever it was the said the Kitayama with varying pressure is amazing, it'll give refinement and tooth. For me at my current state of things it provides near perfect edges for food. I have a few naturals from around the local mountains and find them to be great at making edges with bite. So far the things I have been able to test I would say are in the 2k-4k range; sadly they cut rather slow so I currently only use it on my beater stainless knife for how and my KAI wasabi deba, but I do love the edges I get from the naturals I do have.

Oh normal progression goes

King 1.2k, Kitayama. No stropping no extras just deburr with Champagne corks. Although I am intrigued by newsprint

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Shaves the face, or arm smoothly? If you mean the face, I need to learn from you for my straight....
    HAHA...I wish I could sharpen a knife well enough to shave my face smoothly; I'm talking about the arm and thigh (don't judge...I ran out of arm hair one day)

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    ...I spend very little time on anything 5k and above...
    I thought I'd elaborate a little. I stay on the 5k until pretty much the entire burr/wire edge is gone which is usually no more than ten passes per side with fairly light pressure. I do just a few passes on and ~8k ish stone and then just a few passes on a strop and that it. Takes a couple minutes.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Usually Bester 1200, Gesshin 5k, strop (balsa with different compounds). Rarely do I need a coarser grit for my own knives.

99% of the time just a Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k then newspaper or 0.5 chromium leather strop