Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening - how do you make your edges?

Interesting! Seems like most would only need 2-3 stones in total.

I generally use a progression of Shaptons. 500 Glass, 1K Pro, 2K Pro, 5K Pro, followed by stropping with diamond paste on MDF. I'll use Dave's felt and spray in between, as needed. I'll also throw in the Naniwa 10K and a Shapton 16K Glass on occasion. I generally like a refined edge with some bite, which the diamond provides in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Peco View Post
    I really do agree that this is all you need for majority of kitchen knives...maybe my thoughts would be different if I was more into single-bevels, but still I'm not sure.

I've used fancier edges done by people with +6 different stones with multiple and stropping compounds on various substrates...yet thought some of my 'simple' edges were sharper, lasted longer and cut better on a larger variety of foods.

MC had it right all along in my opinion.

Personally I prefer to use very few stones and focus really hard on my technique, with less stones I think differences in technique are more noticeable. And another thing is that I am sorta impatient too and I wouldn't have the patience to progress through many more stones than that

I don't know if it's just me, but if I progress thru all my stones I feel the edge becomes more fragile and needs to be sharpened more often. Mostly I just do 1000 + 5000 and stopping on paper - works fine for me.

I believe you can get by forever with a medium grit stone(2-4k) and a loaded strop, and still have razor sharp knives.

Unless you are only spending a tiny amount of time on the last stone, the last one is the only one that matters. You can do a 200, 600, 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, or just spend an absurd amount of time on the 5k and it will be the same finish. Having more stones just changes how long you have to spend on different stones--I find super hard steel warrants more steps because it keeps me from rubbing on the next grit forever--I'd rather spend 1 minute each on a 500, 1k, 2k, 5k, than spend an hour on the 5k.

Tend to go 1k 6k strop, then strop to maintain. New knives or experiments get a 400 to start and I'll go up to 8k-12k sometimes just for kicks.
    Still want a 10k SS for mirror finishing, and then there's jnats

For stainless I do 400, 1.2, 2k, 4k, 6k then Kitayama 8-12 and then strops.

Carbons get 400 geshinn (sp) then all natural from there. 1k, 2k aoto, long ass stone that begins with a J, then 8-10 (20k with just weight) then strops. Kind of surprising though, but I find that my edges will last a week in a pro environment, (with stropping after the day is done)

For stainless, I usually go with Shap Pro 1k, 5k, 8k (sometimes).

Western carbon gets 1.2k Bester, 5k Rika, light strop on a 6k King.

Japanese carbon 1.2k Bester, 3k Naniwa SS, 5k Rika, 8k Takenoko, naked leather strop.

Yeah..I'm weird.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Wait, your western carbon gets a different treatment?