Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: vegas knife show

  1. #41
    Senior Member Johnny.B.Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,936
    That's wild. Not sure what the appropriate punishment is for doing that...guy certainly ran more than a handful of red lights. Great video though.

  2. #42
    I would like to thank Salty dog and TK59 for the great time in Vegas. My wife thought I was crazy to want to go to Vegas for a Knife show but she indulged me and we had a great time. I would also like to thank Devin for his hospitality and friendliness. For those of you that haven't seen his knives, they really are fantastic. I really wanted to purchase one at the show but my wife laid down the law and ... well im sure you guys know how that goes. I think I may take a trip to his workshop. I know she wont go there and then we'll see. Salty brought along a couple of his knives including the famous Devin scimitar. It's so much cooler in person. TK brought some knives also and some stones. I watched him sharpen Devins mystery steel knife and I'll let him talk about that. I really learned a lot about sharpening and what to look for when examining a Knife(TK59 is very thorough in his examination of knives) and it has fueled my knife craze even more. I couldn't have asked for a better company on this trip. Thanks guys. Hope to do it again sometime.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    Here's a video of a Ferrari 275 GTB ripping through the streets of early morning Paris... crank it up!This was shot in 1976 so it's a bit grainy but the sound is great

    Please abstain from posting these videos without the proper warning of wearing a condom or a sock at least to avoid getting your load all over the friggin room.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,214
    It was great to finally meet Salty, Phoneman (and his wife), Hoss and part of the Thomas clan. I had no idea how it would go and I was prepared for the worst. My only regret was not being able to stay a bit longer.

    Handles: My favorites were the ironwood (including the one mc2442 pointed out) and cocobolo handles. There was a bocote and a few different stabilized wood handles that I don't recall.

    The highlights were sharpening Salty's scimitar (I was sweating messing that one up, let me tell you, esp. with the curvature.) and Devin's super wear-resistant stainless (which sharpens up very nicely, btw. No diamonds required - G400-1k-5k = decent tomato test... I didn't bring a strop.), and meeting/picking everyone's brains.

    I picked up a 240 super wear resistant. I'm very excited at the prospect of doing a little testing soon (and maybe grinding a few knives).

    One more thing: the Travis Wurtz belt grinder is awesome.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Adagimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    It was great to finally meet Salty, Phoneman (and his wife), Hoss and part of the Thomas clan. I had no idea how it would go and I was prepared for the worst. My only regret was not being able to stay a bit longer.

    Handles: My favorites were the ironwood (including the one mc2442 pointed out) and cocobolo handles. There was a bocote and a few different stabilized wood handles that I don't recall.

    The highlights were sharpening Salty's scimitar (I was sweating messing that one up, let me tell you, esp. with the curvature.) and Devin's super wear-resistant stainless (which sharpens up very nicely, btw. No diamonds required - G400-1k-5k = decent tomato test... I didn't bring a strop.), and meeting/picking everyone's brains.

    I picked up a 240 super wear resistant. I'm very excited at the prospect of doing a little testing soon (and maybe grinding a few knives).

    One more thing: the Travis Wurtz belt grinder is awesome.
    Trip sounds like it was awesome. Also pics of the new super wear resistant or it didn't happen?

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    THE WOLFPACK.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    WildBoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    2,230
    Not a lot of hair going on in that photo. Too many sharpness tests?

    Were any knives left over? If so, will they be sold direct, or through a commercial vendor?
    __________
    David (WildBoar's Kitchen)

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,214
    I'm sure there were close to a dozen left over. I checked them all out. I didn't see anything remotely suggesting a dud in the bunch. I think the dark-etched blade is a 19c27 core. It would have been interesting to check out Devin's take on the steel Suisin uses for it's stainless lines. Some of the mystery carbon san mai blades would have looked striking with a little etching, I think. You could see where you might get the effect seen on a Burke san mai or a one of those thinned HiroAS's. Devin also had an interesting take on the "line knife." A shorter, stout knife but thin where it counts. I'd have liked to try that out as well. As alwayse, too many pretties and too little funds.

  9. #49
    The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Were any knives left over? If so, will they be sold direct, or through a commercial vendor?
    I'm interested also.
    Sounds like you guys had a great time!

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Adagimp View Post
    Trip sounds like it was awesome. Also pics of the new super wear resistant or it didn't happen?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dt-super (800x600).jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	3955

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •