OT: Chisels

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth

Founding Member
Reaction score
Like any craftsperson, when I stopped woodworking I couldn't let go of my hand tools. I have some Ouichi brand white and blue steel chisels which at the time, 30 years ago, were the best available. Does anyone know anything about this brand. The shop seems to not exist anymore.
Thanks,
Seth

Hi Seth,

Umm, I talked to Mr. Ouchi about 2 months ago. Your chisels were likely made by the current Ouchi-san's father, but the name is still in use and is still very popular and highly thought of.

I'd never say "the best available" about any thing, but Ouchi are exceptionally good and need no excuses made for them at all.

When I sell something, that's all I'm looking for, to not need to make excuses. Which is why I'll be listing Ouchi chisels in my humble little store in the coming months.

You can also find the Ouchi website here; http://kajiya.nobody.jp/index.html

Hope that helps. ;)

Stu.

Stu,
Thanks for the information. I know that they were pretty pricey back when I bought them which is why I made the comment about best. I have a sandlewood handle multi layer 1/2" with multiple hollows on the back which is not Ouchi but was always the go-to for hand dovetails. I am missing a ring on the 2 inch chisel so maybe sometime you could guide me to finding a replacement.
Thanks,
Seth

Back