Keijiro Doi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andoniminev

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can share his experience with Keijiro Doi´s knives. I want to buy one but there is not much information about those knives.

I wonder if anyone can share his experience with Keijiro Doi´s knives. I want to buy one but there is not much information about those knives.

I myself am contemplating to get one of his knife. I have not seen any negative thing about his knife.
Suisin hayate is one of his line as well as some of Sakai Takayuki.

The one I've used was *very* well made. Only minimal experience though, and I didn't buy it so I can't be 100% sure it was actually a Doi. My old boss at the sushi bar said so.

I have a Sakai Takayuki Doi, very well made, sharper out of the box than I am able to achieve, excellent finish level. For what I paid, I am very happy with it.

Other than the propaganda from the Korin site I can't add too much other than to say I don't regret these purchases. As I have stated in other threads there are the high priced Doi's usually with ebony handles, and the light series, which have some imperfections but are definitely, according to Korin, made by Doi San. Both of these lines are blue steel and low temp forging. It would be nice to hear from of the knife makers about what the low temp forging is all about. What I've read is that it maintains the fine grain of the steel but this needs confirmation and elaboration. FnF is some of the best out there in my experience. Is there a particular type of knife you are looking for?
Seth

From what I have seen there spines are thicker then compared to a masamoto knife, thus feeling a bit heavier. They don't taper as nice. But the polish and finishing on them are very nice.

Nothing but good things to say about the Hayate Doi 270mm Yanagiba... One word... flawless.... I own both... same size.. maybe this helps...

Masamoto Blue#2 KS 270mm 3.91mm at spine.
Keijiro Doi Hayate 270mm 4.26mm at spine.

They don't feel much different (weight wise)... must say mirror finish on hayate is nice to have, feel and control of octagonal handle is superb, specially with sashimi and cutting Maki's.

They are both excellent options... different price points... My Masamoto is more of a every day kind of yanagi.. .the Suisin Doi is definitely a more detailed finished knife.. you can't go wrong... can't speak of the Sakai version.

Best of luck... let us know what you decide! :doublethumbsup:

Other than the propaganda from the Korin site I can't add too much other than to say I don't regret these purchases. As I have stated in other threads there are the high priced Doi's usually with ebony handles, and the light series, which have some imperfections but are definitely, according to Korin, made by Doi San. Both of these lines are blue steel and low temp forging. It would be nice to hear from of the knife makers about what the low temp forging is all about. What I've read is that it maintains the fine grain of the steel but this needs confirmation and elaboration. FnF is some of the best out there in my experience. Is there a particular type of knife you are looking for?
Seth

Cold heading would maintain a smaller grain size and introduce a degree of hardening.

-AJ

I agree... I can only say that it attains a very sharp edge..

Back