Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epicurean wood-fiber cutting boards

Epicurean wood-fiber cutting boards

Does anyone have thoughts / experience with these boards. They claim that they are not hard on blades, yet seem to be pretty hard. My wife picked up two of these boards over Christmas and I haven't been able to bring myself to use them, especially with my better blades.

I have a few small ones and use them only for very light duty (slicing some fruit with a paring knife, cheese board etc). The smaller ones are nice to have in a pinch, so you don't have to bring out the big boards. I don't use my nicer knives on them either. My thoughts are this: If I didn't offer some small, light cutting boards the relatives would cut on plates or my granite counter top, which is far worse. It's a trade-off.

Most people are concerned with the glues that go into making them, so even though the wood product might be softer, the glues aren't so knife friendly.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I know that's conventional wisdom, but as an engineer I can't help but question it.

What is the relative hardness of wood, bamboo, polycarb and epoxy? Compared to the knife they all seem pretty soft. Are the really that much of a contributing factor to edge wear?

-AJ

They are pretty hard. I have one and I use it for protien slicing, breaking down chicken, ect. Actually pretty nice for that job, because it is easy to wash and pretty light weight. No chopping/push cutting on that baby.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    I know that's conventional wisdom, but as an engineer I can't help but question it.

What is the relative hardness of wood, bamboo, polycarb and epoxy? Compared to the knife they all seem pretty soft. Are the really that much of a contributing factor to edge wear?

-AJ
    A baseball is soft compared to a metal bat, but it still leaves dents.

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    They are pretty hard. I have one and I use it for protien slicing, breaking down chicken, ect. Actually pretty nice for that job, because it is easy to wash and pretty light weight. No chopping/push cutting on that baby.
    I was thinking the same thing. One is a 30" circular monstrosity that actually would be a pretty good board when you don't need to touch the board but need some space for protein mess and the easy clean-up is a bonus.

I think there is also a psychological element because the boards clack so much. They just sound hard when dropped from a short distance. Another thing is that the boards are very brittle. If you drop them they will chip.

I will also agree with chazmtb that I also use them for jobs that are messy, especially like chopping up anchovies, sun dried tomatoes and anything else really greasy. They clean up really nicely.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I have a few small ones and use them only for very light duty (slicing some fruit with a paring knife, cheese board etc). The smaller ones are nice to have in a pinch, so you don't have to bring out the big boards. I don't use my nicer knives on them either. My thoughts are this: If I didn't offer some small, light cutting boards the relatives would cut on plates or my granite counter top, which is far worse. It's a trade-off.

Most people are concerned with the glues that go into making them, so even though the wood product might be softer, the glues aren't so knife friendly.

k.
    My wife is one of those who doesn't have a problem cutting cheese / veggies on her plate / tile cutting board. Luckily, she won't use my knives. Her preference is the free ones that come with Usinger sausage gift kits, so I am fine with that.

We have a couple that are pretty handy. They are hrder than wood boards, but for light home use there are no issues. Especially with the extent that many of us spend on the stones.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    A baseball is soft compared to a metal bat, but it still leaves dents.
    Well yeah but that's a transfer of energy issue, not a hardness issue.

-AJ