Hattori Jck forums gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreas

Reaction score
I am really itching to get my hands on my first Japanese knife and was wondering if I could get some input. I really like the 240 gyuto knife so that is what I'm leaning towards. I like the hattori Jck knife with the brown handle but also am torn between a misono Ux10 and Maybe a Masamoto vg. Should I be looking for a powdered steel blade or Vg 10? Which knife out of the bunch has the hardest steel? Also is shun any good or should I stick with my choices? Also Is the misono not true Japanese because it uses Swedish steel? Thank you

get a cheaper knife and some water stones, and practice sharpening. when you have that down, then go buy an expensive knife.

I think you are on the right track. I myself personally stay away from most shun. Just not enough bang for the buck. The others you mentioned are admirable though. What are your sharpening solutions if any?

And yes misono is Japanese though I'm not sure if the ux 10 line uses sweedish steel. They have a separate Swedish steel line for that I believe.

Shigefusa uses Swedish steel, so i wouldn't worry about that.

last I understood misono was a rip off. go for the JCK CarboNext.

The Misono Swede line is a winner, and the moly line is too. Just saying....

I've tried out the thre knives you listed. In terms of cutting performance, I'd rank the UX10 and the Hattori forum about equal although they have different profiles and the Masamoto VG is just not a very good cutter at all (although I could have just had a lemon). I'd say none of them have awesome edge retention but UX10 is probably the worst of the bunch, in that respect. The UX10 is way overpriced, imo. I would easily choose the CarboNext over all of these.

That's true misono did raise the prices by like what 40%?!! Gahhh! Get a kikiuchi performance, konosuke hd or a carbonext instead.

last I understood misono was a rip off. go for the JCK CarboNext.

I would easily choose the CarboNext over all of these.

Yep and yep--I'm sure many of us sound like broken records on the CN, but it really is that good for the money.

However, if you don't know how to sharpen well, find a member who will put on a great initial edge for you or send it to Dave to get you all set up.

if you're willing to spend 300 or more... i'd consider a carter hg or carter sfgz series that are cheaper but looks better in my opinion, a devin itk, or those awesome looking knives at JKI (japanese knife imports)...

imo, my carter is the best cutter i have ever handled... but then again i'm no expert and i haven't been around in the knife world that much yet...

also, +1 on konosuke hd... haven't tried it out, but they just look freakin' sweet...

Goodluck! :)

Yep and yep--I'm sure many of us sound like broken records on the CN, but it really is that good for the money.

I second this. I have the Hattori FH in a 150 mm Petty and I'm not all that impressed with it. I'll take my CN any day for cutting ability and edge retention (thought the handle on the FH is certainly much nicer).

Andreas, if you are not a professional, things like edge retention become much less important in choosing a knife. You are not going to dice onions for hours at a time in a home kitchen. If the way a knife looks is important to you, then you should give that at least as much importance as other factors when making a decision.

Keep in mind that there are very few "bad" Japanese gyutos out there. It's just that we are "knife knuts" and tend to look at knives a little bit differently than most people. That said, the Hattori FH series are above average in fit and finish, and if there is something about the cocobolo 240 gyuto that draws you to it, then get it. Otherwise you may find yourself with "buyer's remorse" over the knife you have to convince yourself to get.

I will repeat the advice that was given to you in an earlier post, about getting some waterstones and learning how to sharpen. Whatever knife you wind up with, it will be no better than the edge it has.

Good luck!

Rick

+1 to what Rick said about buyer's remorse. Get what you want. If you don't like it, then get something else. But don't convince yourself to buy a certain knife.

I just bought a Carbonext 240 gyuto and I likes it.:doublethumbsup: I also have a Hattori forum 270 suji and I like it too, but it was considerably mo' money.

I have an FH gyuto and I love the thing. The profile is fantastic and I've thinned mine a lot. VG10 steel is a little unpopular compared to others but I don't think it's so bad. Buy what you want. The Carbonext seems to be incredible value whereas the FH is more of a looker. It is up to you, neither is that bad of a choice I think

I love my FH gyuto. I have Konosukes in W2 and in HD...yes they are awesome...but when I need to do something quick and don't want to worry about the blade I always reach for my FH. I love, love, love its profile. Nothing I own walks the board like my FH. VG 10 doesn't get much love here but as many wiser than I have pointed out it's the HT that really counts. The FH sharpens nice (only blade that I ever needed stiches from) and has respectable durability. I bought mine second hand so I saved some cash. It's a great blade and if you like the way it looks you will not be disappoin

Back