Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first J-knives, Question about plastic ferrule and many more.

I have narrow my choices down to the Carbonext 210mm and the Miyabi 7000mc. The Miyabi 7000mc look pretty decent from what it is. Has anyone have any experience with the ZDP-189 powder steel. It promises to retain the edges very well, but would not maintain an insane sharpness and will stay at a decent sharpness for a long time. I would be sharpening it with only a 6000 grits stone. Thanks once again.

Yes, you've got it right in regards to the ZDP steel. I have a Cermax with the same steel. I like it for extended prep sessions with a wide array of product. It is a little chippy IMO. If you're a rocker/ board crawler type of cutter, maybe not a good choice....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Some say it hold a decent sharpness for a long time, the thing I am concern is how sharp is this "decent sharpness." It seem very subjected to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AddictforLife View Post
    Some say it hold a decent sharpness for a long time, the thing I am concern is how sharp is this "decent sharpness." It seem very subjected to me.
    Think about the feeling of a vg10 knife after about maybe 1/2 of use on a decent end grain board. It's pretty much ~ 90% of what it was after coming off the stones. As for plastic ferrules, I have one on my takagi honyaki gyuto, and it's absolutely fine. Aesthetically, not the most pleasing thing, but it does the job, and it is flush with the handle, so that knife in general is very comfortable to use

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by AddictforLife View Post
    If this is your first Japanese knife I think you will be very happy with what this community thinks of as "decent sharpness."

The words "sharp" and "dull" as used by the general public, are synonyms here on the forums. There's Sharp->Not Sharp(Japanese NIB factory edge)->Dull(Western NIB factory edge)->What everyone else in America has in their home.

We are here to fight and bond over, among other things, different degrees of the first order.

heh. worse than that. i diced some onions at Christmas with a knife that my soon-to-be-mother-in-law considered a pretty sharp and usable knife. i wasn't convinced it actually had an edge.

Ultimately, which knife would you buy. 210mm or 240mm/ CarboNext or Miyabi. Considering that I only be using stones up to 6000, I will only sharpen up to 1000 grits most of the time.

i started with 210 gyutos, went to 270s, then tried 240s, and ended up with 250-255s (the 250-255s are wa gyutos that have 240mm edges, like Shigefusa). that probably doesn't help.

double post