Quantcast
Anyone ride motorcycles?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ride motorcycles?

Anyone ride motorcycles?

So i am currently saving for a bike.....i am thinking about a sportster 1200.....anyone ride bikes?....thoughts on what to look for?......my budget is probably like 5 to6 thousand......i was thinking of getting a used bike that is more stock with lower miles in better condition than a bike with more add ons with higher miles for the same price.....any advice would be appreciated greatly.....this wilbemyfirstbike.....i wanna get one so i can ride with my dad....Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Just don't forget that HD doesn't stand for Harley Davidson - It's Hundred Dollars
    Because every tiny piece of crome costs at least $100.

I moved from Harley's to Victory (also American Made - Division of Polaris), which is a sin when I live in the greater Milwaukee area about five years ago. I got sick of my bike overheating because HD's are only air cooled. The sportster is a good starter bike - good balance and decent ride. Make sure you have good compression when starting it up - i.e. starts within a couple of turns. I don't know how much riding experience you have - but take someone along to test ride it if you need to get a feel for how it feels. If you do have experience make sure you take it for a test ride and are comfortable with it. I have sold myself on the idea of several bikes only to change my mind during a test ride.

I prefer the low maintanence cost of the Honda. I used to have a Shadow 1100, now I am saving fo a bmw.

I've got 2 Moto Guzzis.

Take an MSF course.

-AJ

I have a cbr600 f4. Good bike. I'm more of a cruiser person though. For a 12 year old bike it only has 8500 miles in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes7792 View Post
    I have a cbr600 f4. Good bike. I'm more of a cruiser person though. For a 12 year old bike it only has 8500 miles in it.
    That was my transition too - I picked up the Victory in 2005 and pretty much shelved my CBR1100XX. Now my knees can't handle more than a couple miles on the bike so it has sat in the garage the last two years. That is one of my few new years resolutions it to sell the CBR by spring.

I bought this one new in 1977. She hasn't let me down yet. Can't imagine a better bike.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

I would recommend a smaller bike for the first one, like a 500 ninja or gs500. It will cost a lot less when you have your inevitable first drops/tipovers.
    I currently ride a BMW R1100S and have been riding since 1966, commuting year round every day(now retired).
    I second the MSF course.
    You can ride the smaller used bike until you get tired of it and then sell it for what you paid for it. You will then have a better idea of what you really want in a bike. It is really the same as your first J knife, start with something that will not kill you if you screw it up, get some experience, then let that inform the next direction.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have also considered a shadow......i am going to take a course to learn....i don't have any experience riding......

Spike....i thought about that.....one of the problems is i thought i was a litle large for a ninja or a sport bike in general....i am 6 4 and about 300lbs.....but idid consider getting something a lot smaller to ride first but everyone is trying to talk me out ofit that i know.....Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !