Does Anyone Else Experience This with Dave's Boards?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotary

Reaction score
It's so gorgeous that I hate to cut on it.

My wife complains that I hardly ever use it. The "Honey, I need to condition it just a little more before I really start using it" excuse is starting to wear thin. :happymug:

I got one for my mother back east last summer, and while she won't admit it, my brother reports that she treats it as a show piece and hasn't once cut on it.

Dave . . . you need to ugly-up your boards a little!

I HAD that problem for about a year and a half - then jumped in when I needed a lot of cutting space and also used it as a pizza cutter and after that it is my regular board. I mineral oil it when needed and am working on my beekeeper nephew to get me some beeswax so I can make my own board butter.

It took about a month or so before I allowed myself to cut vegetables on it. A year later, and I still cringe at the thought of working with raw protein on the board. I had to actually go out and get a small sani-tuff. I got tired of being a vegetarian.

Sorry, I can't relate. When my Boardsmith board showed up I ran down to the Mexican supermarket and bought 9lbs of onions for $0.99 just so I could have stuff to cut! :D

Mine has been in continual use since I got it. Absolutely the best board I've used. I probably should get one and put it away against the time when David will retire.

I love to use my Boardsmith boards! Meat, fish, veggies, cheese, fruit, whatever - the only thing I always do on something else is garlic. Walnut and maple are both holding up great. With occasional oiling, they still look fantastic!

I use mine all the time (maple w/ walnut border), and my wife has used hers every day since she got it x-mas morning.

I beat it up! Can't wait till it starts showing it's age and care. Board patina, I call it.

I've used my first Boardsmith for some time, I have not gone light on it but always pampered it between the abuse (i.e. used Dave's mineral oil/beeswax stuff). It has some dark marks from hot utensils that have been put on it (small kitchen is a partial excuse) but also some deeper scars from the mistake of using a oroshigane on it. I now use a small poly for the oroshigane.
Despite this the board works and looks fantastic. I must buy at least one more so all my kids can inherit one.

I've used mine right from the get go(after proper mineral oil/board butter treatment of course).No proteins(I use poly) veg,friut etc great board.It's too nice not to use....

:lol2::haha4::lol2::dance::lol2: I'll remember that the next time a board hits the dumpster.

Just ruined four legs destined for a major island project. They will hit the dumnpster when I clean up Saturday morning.

Just ruined four legs destined for a major island project. They will hit the dumnpster when I clean up Saturday morning.

Hey, just sell them as peppermill blanks on ebay ;)

I confess that I neglect my boards just as much as my knives, i.e. both could use more frequent oiling and care. But I also use them without hesitation. I do raw poultry and fish on the sanituff, but everything else on one of my two cherry-maple boards.

Stefan

Shoot, we cut beef, chicken, fish, veggies, bread, flatten biscuit dough, cut out paper for crafts, you name it! It's a cutting board--Ima cut on it! :knife:

That's way I have two, a maple to beat on and a cherry just to pretty up the counter.

I use mine for everything, and my other older boards get used for mise en place.
I see no reason to not use the one board for both veg and protein. At least in my own kitchen!

i have a cooked meat board and a veg. / fruit board butstill use plastic type board for raw meats

ilove my boardsmith boards way to much to let them be idle

It's so gorgeous that I hate to cut on it.

My wife complains that I hardly ever use it. The "Honey, I need to condition it just a little more before I really start using it" excuse is starting to wear thin. :happymug:

I got one for my mother back east last summer, and while she won't admit it, my brother reports that she treats it as a show piece and hasn't once cut on it.

I admit that I had similar feelings when I first got the boards, but now, both my walnut and my cherry with walnut border are used as much as possible (I don't use them for raw meats). They are both doing great. I suppose it's a little like getting that first scratch on a new car:lol2:

I currently have three different sizes of BoardSmiths. I have a med sized one made of mahogany that I can't seem to do anything with except look at it and rub it, lol.

You guys are using wooden boards for raw proteins?

You know it. Just like when I was a kid, and just like everyone for thousands of years. I clean it after use, keep it oiled and dry, and if it retains a smell, cover it in salt overnight. I also cut proteins last.

Back