Quantcast
Forging Stainless Damascus
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forging Stainless Damascus

Forging Stainless Damascus

Some of the coolest pics I have taken this year are FORGING pics. Between the sparks and fire and molten steel. it just doesnt get much better in my opinion.

Here are a few I took yesterday. Forging a can of stainless steel.

After seeing Randy Jr. progress so rapidly with forging Carbon damascus. In general he has been doing some wicked cool stuff over the last year! Making meteorite damascus, mosaic damascus, and san mai, etc. I figured a new challenge was in order!

Heres a few pics of our first welds..

Im gona go back through some of the forging and welding pics and post up some of my all time favorites!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Salty's Blocks 012.JPG‎
Views:	39
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	2841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salty's Blocks 015.JPG‎
Views:	1407
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	2838  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salty's Blocks 017.JPG‎
Views:	44
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	2839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salty's Blocks 030.jpg‎
Views:	46
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2840  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

What are the challenges with forging stainless damascus that carbon does not present?

Agreed. Those are nice pics. What are you using? (camera/lense)

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

K.

I have been shooting with a Canon 30D for the last 4 years. It DIED a couple weeks ago and I had to find a new camera.
    After doing some market research and comparing all of the offerings from Canon.. I went with a new OES Rebel T3i. The T3i is a awesome and amazing camera and so far Im super happy with it.
    For my lens I mainly shoot with a Ultrasonic 28-135mm Image Stabilizer.

Eamon, There are many challenges to forging stainless. And the thing is, most people that do it well and often dont share there process with the world (which I totally understand).. So as we try this, were learning the old fashion way, trial by fire!! Im sure we will find and overcome many of these challenges! and Ill be better able to answer the question. The first few that I can tell ya are being able to reach the proper temps needed to weld it. Then holding it at that temp for a sustained amount of time. Next is that the process must be done in the absence of oxygen, creating another set of challenges in and of itself.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Cool Randy, i've found some shim stock to try myself in the new year and added some extra turbo power to my burner to get the soak temperature. What steels did you go for? And did it stick?

Yup! Jr. still has to draw it out and we will be better able to see, but from what I can tell right now. Its stuck.

Gona call it beginners luck at this point!

Yay, thats encouraging. Nice going Jr

Yep. I have my fingers crossed that its good and solid. The first billet will probably be random pattern. or birds eye,. Then after he refines the process and is sure about the steps. Start working on different patterns and stretching the limits of what should be done!! I may have him clad me a bar of Carbon steel and turn this first billet into a san mai blade. Not sure yet.

What do you guys think?

Heres a couple more of my favorite pics.

More to come as I get a chance to roll through the pics and or take some new ones!!

I want that hat! HA!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

+ Reply to Thread