Deba questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I drew out a few deba profiles, and wanted to ask 2 questions.
1: What is the most used/useful length of a deba?
2: What is a good handle length for an average deba?
I know deba are thicker, single bevel knives...Is there a urasuki? Either way, i am going to rock one out...just hope to do it decently lol.

Thanks,
Mike

1. Most seem to be pretty short. Under 210mm... I used a 165-ish one for a bit and it was fine for the size of fish I'm likely to bring home.
2. Similar proportion to any other knife that length. I'd make sure not to make the handle too skinny though. It's a heavy knife.
Yes, they are true single bevel knives but I've seen double bevel versions.

My deba is 165 and I'm sorry I didn't hold out for a bit to save money and pick up something in the 200-210 range. There are a lot of fish out there that can change drastically in size depending on time of year. Often I find myself a couple knuckles deep into a salmon not getting as smooth a cut as I would wish.

My deba is 195mm. I could see 180 through 210 are probably good sizes. If I get another I'd probably opt for the 210. The handle on mine feels like a good comfortable size for the knife, It's 140mm long, 30mm tall and 25mm wide. It's an octogonal wa. Hope this helps. Deba is so much fun to use, so hefty yet so sharp and precise.

Dosen't the blade length depend on the fish being processed?

Back