Quantcast
Fry pan - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fry pan

How is the interior of the Duxtop. Some review said that is very rough and difficult to clean.

I find it to be great, thats why i went to it.

All Clad pans arer inpossible to keep clean, as soon as you sear something on high heat forget it, you will never get it back to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    I find it to be great, thats why i went to it.

All Clad pans arer inpossible to keep clean, as soon as you sear something on high heat forget it, you will never get it back to clean.

Not my experience at all.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Not my experience at all.
    +1

Bar Keeper's Friend and elbow grease.

I bought the All Clad stainless fry pan
    12 minutes to cook a steak, an hour + of bar keepers friend and elbow grease to get it back to clean

I agree it can be done, but do you really want to do it ?

I just think All Clad is now commercial and overpriced for what you get, the older ones might be great. If you are going to spend All Clad type of money look at Mauvial, Demeyer etc. Ive actually gone the opposite way, evern as a home cook i now prefer Restuarnt depot stainless pans, black steel fry pans and a Debuyer mineral pan for steaks.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    I just think All Clad is now commercial and overpriced for what you get, the older ones might be great. If you are going to spend All Clad type of money look at Mauvial, Demeyer etc. Ive actually gone the opposite way, evern as a home cook i now prefer Restuarnt depot stainless pans, black steel fry pans and a Debuyer mineral pan for steaks.
    Alan
    I think black steel is the way to go for any high heat searing or even general sauteing of greens or veg. Honestly I have found that if your cure is good enough you can make pan sauces as well (although obviously not the best pan for the job) without getting lots of black bits of carbon releasing from the pan into the sauce. A good spot to get them from is Capital City Restaurant supply in North Dakota. Cheap, fast shipping.
    Here's a link: http://www.capitalcityrestaurantsupp...D%20511028,MX2
    $50 with shipping for a pan you will get 20 years or more use out of at home! Really close to non stick after like 6 uses. Although at work I just burn them out with lard or grapeseed oil under the hood...starts a fire but after two or three times blackens the interior and leaves a killer cure.

On another note this thread made me go look up vollrath's tribute line. I don't think anyone has mentioned it but somehow this thread made me end up there. Great reviews for the stuff and much cheaper than all clad, Mauviel and demeyer. 2.5 quart sauce pans for $80. 12in fry pans for $70. All tri-ply.

Tramontina Tri-Ply, have it, use it, like it. Unless something happens to them I am probably done buying cookware, other than a saucier of some sort and an occasional non stick.

Didn't read all the posts but if you check Marshall's and tjmaxx they carry, at this time of year, all clad seconds. Got all my stuff there the last two years for about 25 percent of Williams Sonoma price. My 2 recent purchases were a copper core 12 inch fry pan for 100 and a copper core stock pot for 149. Not a thing wrong with either

I checked out some Demeyer Atlantis frying pans today. The aluminum layer was much thicker than all-clad. The Atlantis pan had some great heft to it. Tomorrow I'm going to go to W-S and check out the new all-clad D5 line. If I were buying a stainless frying pan today and had $250+ to shell out for it, I'd probably get the Atlantis.

Black steel, wow, yea they are pretty awesome for searing and the above is pretty true. I thought only hardcore pro kitchen guys knew about these pans. I practically forgot about these. Might get some for the new place now that I'm reminded.

For home use I agree with Joe. Just get the least expspensive from the list as they are going to be about the same for home use. Don't try and over think it.

I like saute' pans over a skillet. You can do more in them IMO. I have the cuisanart ones I believe, and they are easy to clean. I use vinegar and coarse salt and sme dish soap to get hard sears off. If you need more than that I don't know, been cooking pro for 15 years and think if you need more than that you over heated you pan or it's defective.

Kind Regards
    Bryan

+ Reply to Thread