Hi from Switzerland

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valerian

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I just registered after lurking a bit. Seems a friendly place. :)

I'm a amateur chef, love french and asian cuisine, good wines and having fun with friend around a well set table. So far I've used several Solingen knives, Burgvogel (not so famous brand, I guess). I like them and always kept them pretty sharp but alway knew there was a whole different world out there (east, I mean :) )

My interest in kitchen knives is renewed after buying myself a shirogami gyuto. For this purchase I studied websites and reviews for some days but I realize there's years of learning ahead.

I also got myself some sharpening stones and started sharpening today. My knife's blade is already lightly chipped, so after trying on a cheap damast knife I tried to sharpen the new gyuto. My tests have been rather satsfying so far though I'm sure it can get a lot better.

Anyway, prepare to answer some dumb questions! :lol:

Have a good day, all.

Val.

That is a great little story. Good to hear of someone who isn't afraid to take the first steps and put their good knives on a good stone.

:ntmy:

Thanks for the friendly welcome, guys! This is a great place, tons of knowledge. My head spins! :laugh:

I can't believe I'm the first Swiss here! Really?

K, I'm from the German speaking part of Switzerland. Up north, to be precise.

Cheers, Val.

I lived in Lahr, West Germany, for 2 years, really enjoyed traveling to Switzerland, Austria, France. Fantastic food, wine, and beer!

Welcome to heaven! What kind of stones are you using?

Thanks! I'm using Naniwa stones that were sold to me by the seller I bought my knife from.

I lived across the border in Annecy, France and my first child was born in Geneve (Chêne-Bougeries). I will always have a fondness for the Swiss.

Oh, I stayed there some months ago before going to Roanne. Cosy place! :)

I lived in Lahr, West Germany, for 2 years, really enjoyed traveling to Switzerland, Austria, France. Fantastic food, wine, and beer!

I don't know Lahr. But I agree about the food and the wine. :lol:

Val.

Thanks! I'm using Naniwa stones that were sold to me by the seller I bought my knife from.
/QUOTE]
How do you like them. I've only used one and ripped through it pretty fast. I forget what line it was from.

How do you like them. I've only used one and ripped through it pretty fast. I forget what line it was from.

I use the Naniwa Superstones. I like them fine but I can't compare them to anything as I've only just started and they're the only one I ever tried. I haven't taken the rough ones to my new knife yet, only tried them on cheaper damascus knives I have.

I'm somewhat reluctant to start on the Gyuto, afraid I'd **** it up.

Val.

Hi Val

I live in Solothurn.. I am only a mediocre freehand sharpener, but if you need some tips, feel free to contact/visit me...I am not sure, if a can contribute to your sharpening skills, but i can try!

Greets
Benjamin

Last edited:
Hi Benjamin

I figured I wasn't the only Swiss based person here! :)

Thanks for the help offer, I might take it if I run into trouble!

Cheers

Val.

Back