Quantcast
oh, don't you hate that?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oh, don't you hate that?

oh, don't you hate that?

i was cutting some citrus peel for a summery drinkie-poo (i drink old single malt neat in the summer and summery drinks in the winter), when a text message dinged and distracted me. i then bounced the tip of my Yoshikane gyuto off the distal phalanx of the left index finger. i don't play around anymore (i've used everything from super glue to CELOX, but 10+ m HCL and an eyedropper seems to work the best for me), so i'm enjoying my drink, but that sucks.

lemme get this straight. you drip concentrated acid on a fresh cut?

I was wondering about that myself

was a few drops of blood what the drink was missing?

yes. it cauterizes the wound and studies show that HCL promotes wound healing. i rarely have a scar from wounds that warrant it. you don't use much, and as soon as the bleeding starts to abate you rinse in water. i learned it from one of the principal investigators at my old job (university molecular genetics department). and i used 30% HCL tonight, which is about 10m, so it wasn't all that concentrated. 12m tends to turn my fingers too yellow for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    was a few drops of blood what the drink was missing?
    a few drops of blood always improves a drink.

well, not all that concentrated relatively speaking. reagently there is a pretty big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    yes. it cauterizes the wound and studies show that HCL promotes wound healing. i rarely have a scar from wounds that warrant it. you don't use much, and as soon as the bleeding starts to abate you rinse in water. i learned it from one of the principal investigators at my old job (university molecular genetics department). and i used 30% HCL tonight, which is about 10m, so it wasn't all that concentrated. 12m tends to turn my fingers too yellow for my tastes.
    Interesting... I don't think I'm going to try that, lol. Btw, 10 M HCl is plenty concentrated. Pure water is only 56 M.

and, as a disclaimer, i would suggest not introducing large amounts of HCL into your blood stream. a deep cut flows pretty heavily away from the venous system, so it's okay if you don't use much. the acid wasn't the point of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Interesting... I don't think I'm going to try that, lol. Btw, 10 M HCl is plenty concentrated. Pure water is only 56 M.
    but think about it compared to gastric juice. not all that concentrated.