what is your favorite finishing stone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
i had been using the Kitayama mostly, for the last few months, but i've been breaking out my Suehiro white 8000 stone lately. it produces a polish nearly as good as my Naniwa SS 10k, but the edge produced has a heck of a lot of bite. talk about something that passes the three finger test! it's a little chalkier on the edges of the stone, feel wise, than i'd like for my tastes (i love the Kit, and think the Naniwa SS gets dirty and filled with swarf too quickly, in comparison), but it's nothing a little technique change can't fix. a few passes with the Kit after the Suehiro and i have an edge that is aggressive while also refined. i find that it is a pretty good all around edge. i'd love to try natural finishing stones, as well as stones like the Chocera and the Naniwa Snow White, but anything new i bought would have to be pretty amazing to be worth it over what i have.

For stainless and carbon/stainless I also use the Kitayama, (damn thing is VERY hard to beat) and to tell you the truth, if any of my knives needs a touch up after a week of hard use I'll just use the Kitayama and there good to go for another four or so days, (stropping everyday now mind you) I also had a SS8 K but like you feel that they clog really fast so sold it, good edges though. Two naturals I have, both are really nice. My namito I would say finishes about 15ish when used with just weight, while my Ozuku asagi is easily 20+. Or I do have one really long name starts with a J that puts a hell of a nice finish on carbon. Getting a "new" Ohira renge suita here in a few days and will be testing it out on my newly acquired lefty yanagi, so stay tuned for that.

For stainless and carbon/stainless I also use the Kitayama, (damn thing is VERY hard to beat) and to tell you the truth, if any of my knives needs a touch up after a week of hard use I'll just use the Kitayama and there good to go for another four or so days,

Same here. I sharpen or touch up 2-3 times per week depending on my prep load and usually I just pull out the Kit and give everything a quick run thru. I really love that stone and how if it seems to load just a drop or two of water and you're back to working in the mud. Just an outstanding stone.

All that being said I really want to try the Gesshin 8k as well.

Naniwa SS 5000

On my second one right now, and plan to buy a third when this one is done.

I like my Ohira Renge Suita, or my Atagoyama Kiita, both exceptional stones.

I'm liking my Ozuku Suita a lot.

I just want to second this. Granted its the only finishing stone i've really used...but the way it polished and refines is amazing. Also super hard and I haven't really had to flatten it (just a little) in a year. I bought the half thickness and should get two more years put of it.

Latest posts

Back