king 1000 with dark splotches....mold inside?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
Took a look at a friends stone that looked very dirty and had these black splotches on it. I took a flattener to it and ground it down until it looked all even (hard to tell since it was wet), but when it dried up the dark splotches came back. I never tried sharpening with it. Is this mold that is inside the stone? Just wondering what to do with this stone now....

Sounds like mold to me. I've had this happen to my King stones in the summer when it's real hot in the shop. During those times I have to change the water frequently and wash the stones down too.

I got some grease or oil on my King #8K a while ago and the spot has never gone away. Ignore it.

Most likely mould, could be oil and could be staining from not cleaning the stone.

If it's not affecting how the stone works, barely worth worrying about.

(But a little bleach in the water won't hurt anything, and if it's mould, the bleach will clear it up fairly quickly.)

Stu.

What problems are caused by mold growth in stones? Does the fungi break down the stone binder?

What problems are caused by mold growth in stones? Does the fungi break down the stone binder?

Possibly, but I don't know for sure. I would not be surprised if there was some kind of animal/plant/biological thingy that will break down a stone though, if you'll let it.

I do know a slimy stone can be inconsistent, slipping and gripping alternately more than expected. A quick flatten usually takes care of that though, which I do unless I'm being especially lazy (which might also explain the slimy stone!).

A quick shot of bleach in any water used for keeping stones keeps the crap away, and is cheap. No point finding out for the sake a of a $0.01 shot of bleach, is it?

Stu.

Back