Heiji Carbon gyuto - 1 year in

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattias504

Reaction score
So, I have had this Heiji 240mm gyuto for about a year now and I have to say it is my favorite knife. I have used it pretty much as my main gyuto rotating a few in here and there since I got it. I always seem to go back to it and fall in love all over again. It holds its edge for an incredibly long time only getting touches on the ceramic rod once a shift or so. I havent had to sharpen this beast in over two weeks after pretty solid use in a pro kitchen. Still slices tomatoes and goes through anything I ask of it every day.

There isn't enough to be said about the geometry of this knife. It has the "feel" of a yanagi when it cuts. Cutting power. Its by no means a single bevel knife but it just feels as if food separates in its path. The patina is beautiful especially when freshly sharpened because you can polish the whole bevel, creating a nice contrast between patina and fresh polish.

I know this is more of a rant than anything (without pics sorry) but I just had to pass this along.
I'm sure many of you around here have tried or bought your own by now so I'm sure you will be able to agree with me. I guess this is more for y'all out there that are on the fence about buying. GO FOR IT!!

I've been trying to talk myself out of picking up another of Heiji's work but I feel my resistance weakening.

It's great rediscovering a favourite, isn't it!?! CONGRATS on owning a knife that suits you so well.
PS. Pictures never hurt ;)

That's a great description of how it feels to cut with these knives. My 270mm was in the BST long enough that I couldn't resist using it. I think I'm going to pull it off the BST. I haven't tried a ton of knives, but I really love Heiji's work.

I'm in the process of ordering just now, this is my first serious knife and going for the 210mm Carbon. Unless anyone can persuade me otherwise to go for the semi stainless.

I'm in the process of ordering just now, this is my first serious knife and going for the 210mm Carbon. Unless anyone can persuade me otherwise to go for the semi stainless.

I don't think you could go wrong with either....

But I have the semi stainless and it is an amazingly crafted knife. No stink...looks pretty, stays sharp a long time, not too difficult to de-bur and responds like carbon on the stones...not quite as well but close enough that you won't notice a difference at all in performance except for the lack of stink on citrus and onions and the like. I love the semi stainless a lot. You couldn't go wrong at all with the carbon but if you don't want the worry of leaving a wet knife on the board for ten minutes while you take care of something I see no reason not to go for the semi stainless. Heiji is a serious crasftsman.

Jon speaks very highly of Heiji's semi-stainless steel. I have a 210mm semi-stainless gyuto on order and can't wait for it to arrive. Nice to know that you are so pleased with yours G-rat.

The profile of the gyutos have never really done anything for me, just looking at them, but the sujis look like something I could really like (and consequently look more like gyutos than the average suji).

Back