Island WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
After three starts and two disasters, here is an island that I am just about to complete.

The measurements are 8" thick x 24" wide x 48" in length. The height will be 36" once the locking swivel casters are installed. Missing in the photos are the drawer, lower shelf, casters and knife holders. The drawer and lower shelf will be installed Monday and I will place the knife holder so the customer can install it when the island is received. The legs are beaded to remove the sharp edges and the lower portion of the aprons are also beaded to match. Once the drawer front is installed, it will be beaded to continue the look. The top will be finished with mineral oil and top coated with Board Butter and the base will be oiled with Danish oil so it can be easily repaired if damaged.

The top alone weighs in at 97 pounds and the base will weigh about the same. Not an easy piece to move around the shop but in two pieces it makes the moving easier. Once the oil is applied and it is ready to go, I will post a final photo.

This one has been ordered by our own Sudsy.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

How much oil will that take? Where do you buy a bulk 55 gallon drum of it?

david...looks awesome boss.....call me with a final total....people are on my back about getting this thing!

That's awesome! I wish I had the space for one of those...maybe in the next kitchen :D

David,

Beautiful piece - can't wait to see the final pix.

And Now I know what I need in my next kitchen.

A boardsmith island cart and a boardsmith board built into a fixed granite island.

Great get sudsy!

Back