Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which knife ? Help please

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    You're all over the place because it is VERY CONFUSING! Don't worry about it, trust me. Just think about these few things:
    Do you have certain knives in mind because of looks? If so, you aren't the only one. What are they?
    Do you want Wa or western handles? Carbon or stainless?
    Ease of sharpening (Carters are great for this), or edge retention?
    Do you want a bruiser of a knife, or a lightweight laser?
    What other knives will be sharing the duties, or will this be taking the place of another knife (if so, what knife?)?

Don't worry, we'll figure it out
    +1.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    I want a rustic bruiser, great edge retention, Japanese handle and I think I'm ready for carbon. Not a laser though. I think!!!
    Zakuri 240mm Aogami Super Gyuto

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zak240gybsonr_3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	3519

Looks great, is this what you recommend? Can you tell me more and is it carbon, bruiser

JkI has blue #1 zakuri and AS zakuri steel. Can you please explain the difference because the 240 zakuri measures hugh. They have a smaller blue #1 but I don't know if it's as good as AS.

What about a used Watanabe 240 gyuto? That might be perfect!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Nah, he should get the Takeda. And then order a Kramer damy.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Looks great, is this what you recommend? Can you tell me more and is it carbon, bruiser.
    JkI has blue #1 zakuri and AS zakuri steel. Can you please explain the difference because the 240 zakuri measures hugh. They have a smaller blue #1 but I don't know if it's as good as AS.
    Yes, the Zakuri is carbon, and it is a "bruiser" as you call it. Look at this photo Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zak240gybsonr_5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	3522 to see what I mean. This knife is not a laser. I had the opportunity to briefly use the 240 mm kurouchi version of the knife and it is a real performer.

I personally would not consider the 210 mm funayuki an all purpose knife, but you may find it perfect for your needs. That's one of the things that you can only find out by actually using it.

I'd recommend calling Jon at JKI and talking with him about the Zakuri, as well as knives in general. You'll find him easy to talk with, and he will be able to speak directly to your questions. He is a certifiable "knife knut" like the rest of us, and has made his hobby into his business, in my opinion the best kind of businessman to deal with.

Thank you and I will keep you posted