Quantcast
Chinese veggie cleaver. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese veggie cleaver.

I think you'll be fine to go with a regular slicing cleaver's dimensions.

I remember in my grandma's kitchen, the cleaver was just called "the knife". The paring knife was "the small knife". Very simple As for "veggie knife"... the only time I would hear that was actually from gangster movies. That's when the gangsters would whip out what are essentially long nakiri ... or, if you've ever seen the "watermelon knives", like that ... and start hacking at each other. Never heard anyone call a cleaver a veggie knife or anything other than "knife".
    Len

Just curious as to why you would use a shallow hardening core steel like 01 with a deep hardening cladding? as for a sanitary handle would stabilized wood sealed with super glue or epoxy work?

O1 shallow hardening??
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I was thinking the same thing Spike?? I dont claim to be a metallurgic.. (See my post about spraying molten Elmax around the shop.. lol )

But I do know I can make em stick together, and I know I can Heat Treat em and get the O1 core to RC 61 without issue. So why not?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

Strike, that..........reverse it. DEEP hardening core with shallow hardening cladding. Same question.

JM, The main thing Im really concerned about when making choices like this would be. Will the core and cladding materials be compatible enough to be forge welded together, and second would be if I bielieve that I can properly heat treat them when there together. . And the answer to both of these is yes. and yes. So I guess the answer would be, Because I can. lol

None of these choices are set in stone.. and I am open to other suggestions for core materials.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

If it has worked in the past, excellent. i was just wondering about the different hardening rates, especially on something that thin.
    Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    JM, The main thing Im really concerned about when making choices like this would be. Will the core and cladding materials be compatible enough to be forge welded together, and second would be if I bielieve that I can properly heat treat them when there together. . And the answer to both of these is yes. and yes. So I guess the answer would be, Because I can. lol

None of these choices are set in stone.. and I am open to other suggestions for core materials.

Who knows if it will work. This is as much a art as a science for us. and we experiment all the time. Sometimes what should work dont and what should not work does.
    One thing for sure, were having a blast..

My goal in this is to make something different, even if its just slightly different.. or a bit better or cooler in one way or another.. and without testing and trying new stuff.. That will never happen..

I am open to suggestions, like I said. and often they are very helpful and help direct my path on the journey I call knife making..

As it turns out, I sent the Spirograph Nakiri to the chef asking about a veggie knife. He will test it out and it may be exactly what hes needing, or he may still want to move forward with us making him a cleaver.. Either way.. I want to make one with integral damascus bolsters and san mai blade. Im now on a mission! lol

Ill post any updates and may even do a WIP on this one just for fun! Thanks for the comments JM.

An integral, eh? Not satisfied with making it just a little bit challenging?
    Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Who knows if it will work. This is as much a art as a science for us. and we experiment all the time. Sometimes what should work dont and what should not work does.
    One thing for sure, were having a blast..

My goal in this is to make something different, even if its just slightly different.. or a bit better or cooler in one way or another.. and without testing and trying new stuff.. That will never happen..

I am open to suggestions, like I said. and often they are very helpful and help direct my path on the journey I call knife making..

As it turns out, I sent the Spirograph Nakiri to the chef asking about a veggie knife. He will test it out and it may be exactly what hes needing, or he may still want to move forward with us making him a cleaver.. Either way.. I want to make one with integral damascus bolsters and san mai blade. Im now on a mission! lol

Ill post any updates and may even do a WIP on this one just for fun! Thanks for the comments JM.

Yea, jm. you know how it is.. I gota keep Jr. on his toes!!! Not to mention I like to challenge myself and continue to stretch my skill set. and integral seems like the next logical step. LMAO!

I also picked up a special tool arm attachment with the intention of doing a few of these integral bolsters. On kitchen knives and bowies and hunting knives.

+ Reply to Thread