Quantcast
Chinese veggie cleaver. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chinese veggie cleaver.

I have done O1 core, with 15N20 and 1084 sides, even added some pure nickel for some nice bright contrast. All you steels you are useing are fine, the issue might be exposeing and keeping the core centered. Next PITA is of the core gets nice and thin, like your customer is likely going to want, and it gets to that magical temp, then the core can and likely will ripple, like the edge of a lasanga noodle! Now THAT is a PITA!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    I have done O1 core, with 15N20 and 1084 sides, even added some pure nickel for some nice bright contrast. All you steels you are useing are fine, the issue might be exposeing and keeping the core centered. Next PITA is of the core gets nice and thin, like your customer is likely going to want, and it gets to that magical temp, then the core can and likely will ripple, like the edge of a lasanga noodle! Now THAT is a PITA!
    I hate it when that happens.. Yep I think this one will be a challenge..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    This is gona be a fun blade to make. I have been given no boundary's, measurements, thickness, heights, etc. and Its going to be totally subjective as to how high or large I make the blade. The only request was for a san mai blade and a sanitary handle material.. in either stainless or something that ill be easily cleaned and maintained.

After spending a hour looking at Google searches and stuff, I figured if anyone could help me with this it would be you guys!

Currently Im thinking a 210 blade with a 76mm heel height. and 3mm at the spine with full flat grinds.. ?? But still not 100% sure.. but on paper it looks like a cleaver. Yet still open to other suggestions and ideas.

The person who will receive the knife runs or owns a place that serves only veggie dishes.. There is 2 people between him and I. So I have not had a chance to talk to him and am going off info from the middle man. Which makes it harder for me to make a very specific design knife. I think next week I will cut out the middle man and try and talk direct to the chef thats going to be cutting with the blade. That will probably really narrow it down for me.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate your help and advice.
    Randy
    Hey.. How's the "Chinese vegetable knife" coming along?

I did order custom size from Ashi Hamono.. 210mm but x 70mm, a 180mm x 65mm with the strict limitation that it must not weigh more than 240grams which is about the weight of a German chef knife + Balance point at the choil as teh sugimoto 4030 (stainless steel) is a little too high and heavy eventhough it clocks abt 320 grams. BUt its great for smashing garlic!

Thus in this dimension, it is a big Nakiri.

Will Catcheside just made one adn it is about this dimension adn weight. I find this to be useful size as cut/ chop and scoop in my prep. I have been able to slice beautifully through a pomfret from the nose to the tail in one straight motion an act that gives me much joy and satisfaction.
    WIll Catchseide Stainless 210 Nakiri
    "
    Special hollow ground faces with polished flat double bevels make this Nakiri cut like a very thin knife yet with zero flex. Food release is also superb as a result of the geometry.
    Specifications http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/shop.html
    Blade length - 214 mm
    Handle Length - 142mm
    Height over heel - 64mm halfway 58mm At tip 47mm
    Taper on spine - 3mm - 2.5mm - 1.6mm
    Taper is apex of hollow - 1.25 - 1mm - 0.8mm
    Balance point 30mm in front of handle.
    Weight approx 240 grams.

I prefer the 210mm over the 180mm and have gifted the latter to a friend as I discovered Sugimoto does make a smaller chef knife abt 60mm Blade height adn since I am a Sugimoto man and perhaps wrongfully have a)teh Sugimoto 4030 chinese chefs knife, b)the Sugimoto 60mm x 180mm and c) the Ashi 210mm x 70mm Western handle as my kitchen Arsenal. Recently Sugimoto has relented to make a Stainless steel version CM4030 model

A Nakiri is just too short in blade height for chop and scoop cutting and mincing meat.

Have fun and stay sharp..

rgds d

old Chinese only use one cleaver for everyting. But now have a big cleaver for cutting bone, a chef knife for vegetable, a peeler for carrot, a scissors for saussage...
    keep going..

+ Reply to Thread