Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Kramer Video

Bob Kramer Video

I know segments of this have been seen before but ive never seen some of stress tests, are these real ? would knives made by the main makers on KKF pass these tests ?

Just curious

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5738120n

If Eamon can bring his videocamera to ABS Expo, Im sure Bills knives can do the same
    Bill - you in for the challenge?

Yes they are real.

Not everyone's knives will survive that.

Not every knife SHOULD do that.

Those are tests that every ABS Master Smith must pass to become a Master Smith. On 7 different knives(IIRC). So Michael Rader, Bill Burke, Bob Kramer, and Murray Carter have all passed this Master Smith testing.

It basically requires a knife that is an optimal balance of a LOT of different opposing qualities and properties of a blade. I mean, nobody needs a knife to bend 90 degrees, so the ability to do it without breaking isn't something to focus on when heat treating, forging, laminating, and grinding a blade. But is shows you have a more complete control over the material you are working with.

It's like an Iron Chef battle--take a single thing, turn it into a soup, salad, entree, another entree, a drink, an ice cream, a baked good, and a serving vessel, and you've shown you've got game. Should they cook like that every day? Probably not. But it's pretty cool to know they have enough skill to do it.

Those blades are made specific for the abs test,not the same as a retail blade.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Those blades are made specific for the abs test,not the same as a retail blade.
    I would like to see the heel shot of that ABS knife - thickness and the angle it is sharpened.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

And the edges are allowed to chip during testing...

I heard an ABS MS say, "I'll teach you to make a knife to pass the ABS tests and then I'll teach you how to make a good knife"

The point isn't that the knife used to pass the tests is bad but that the knives are made to specifically pass these tests more so than do great at anything else - like cutting food for example.

Oh and great display on Bob's part. making a knife to do that and also being able to physically do it yourself is no small feat. It's something I can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Oh and great display on Bob's part. making a knife to do that and also being able to physically do it yourself is no small feat. It's something I can't do.
    Give yourself 10 years - that is at least how long Bob has been making knives.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    And the edges are allowed to chip during testing...
    I belive the edge is allowed to crack during the 90 degree bend, no less than one third the width of the blade, it is not allowed to chip during any of the cutting tests.