Quantcast
Bob Kramer Video - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bob Kramer Video

I was referring to the 90° bend.

I can't watch the video on my iPad for some reason, but IIRC, that is a "stock" Kramer 52100 knife. It also went back to true after the 90 degree flex which is not how the typical JS or MS performance test knives do. They are normally left soft enough on the spine that they take a set. Only the performance knife has to pass the torture test. The five knives presented at Blade or San Antonio are judged on their appearance.

As for the 20 years comment, yes it might take you that long to learn to do what Bob does, but typically, you can make a mono steel knife that will pass the JS performance test at the end of the two week ABS Intoduction To Bladesmithing course. That is kind of the "final exam". Some guys don't do it and you still "pass" if you don't but the majority are able to pull it off. The bad news is that does not count as your actually test because you had help.

Did anyone see the note in one of Kramer news letters about how his custom knives, especially the damy, are not made to take the same abuse as thoes made for a MS test or demoed in that cbs video?

There was a line something like "... they should not be used to chop coconut.... certainly never a frozen coconut!"

-Every time I think of the story that spawned that line, I laugh... "hey guys I saw these knives on TV and just bought this one for $20K on eBay! Check THIS out!...
    WACK!
    CLANG!
    .... Oh s#! "

I imagine Bob was not amused by the email and photos that followed...

Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Remember that even what appears the most incredibly stupid warning label is put on a product because someone actually did it at some point and then sued the manufacturer.

******* - no kidding - I once saw a warning stenciled on a wood stove that basically said: WARNING! FIRE IS HOT! ... when I joked with the sales floor guy about it he related that a customer had come back the previous week threatening to sue the store for selling a product that got hot enough to burn you if you touched it.

Or as Puck said "Lord, what fools these mortals be."

And while I have not made knives I would trust to pass the ABS JS presentation judging, I have made several that I've put through the JS performance test. And I have had some break too. And watched others succeed and fail at it.

But NEVER have I seen a knife that would pass the JS performance test spring back so beautifully after the 90 degree bend.

Awesome.

Yes, the ABS test knives are differentially hardened so they can bend like this. This type of blade is designed to be bent 90 degrees...They don't say that you should only make knives like this, this is designed to test your heat treat abilities and nothing more. You probably do not want a kitchen knife made to do stuff like this.

Karl Anderson, lunatic that he is, decided to make one of his typical knives for the test instead of one of the ordinary full tang sacrificial blades. He tested with a hidden tang knife of take down construction made from a batch of very high quality 5160. IIRC, it ws though hardened and then had the spine tempered back. it bent to 90 degrees and went back to pretty much straight with no cracking of the edge, but it required the use of a 4 foot cheater bar to bend. The reason people fail the performance test can vary. Sometimes the edge cracks more than 1/3 up the blade. Other times, you have a "hot spot" with larger grain. That is what happened to me. The balde bent 80 degrees and snapped up by the tip whihc had beach sand sized grain in one spot .Other times it can be something as simple as a sharp edge on the vice jaw holding the blade or letting the knive snap back from 90 degrees quickly as opposed to keeping it under pressure and letting it go back gently. The thing that impresses me about Bob's knivesis not the 90 degree bend test. The knives are well heat treated and they are 1/10 of an inch thick or less. I am impressed that they can still do the 2 x 4 chop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kemp View Post
    ******* - no kidding - I once saw a warning stenciled on a wood stove that basically said: WARNING! FIRE IS HOT! ... when I joked with the sales floor guy about it he related that a customer had come back the previous week threatening to sue the store for selling a product that got hot enough to burn you if you touched it.

Or as Puck said "Lord, what fools these mortals be."

And while I have not made knives I would trust to pass the ABS JS presentation judging, I have made several that I've put through the JS performance test. And I have had some break too. And watched others succeed and fail at it.

But NEVER have I seen a knife that would pass the JS performance test spring back so beautifully after the 90 degree bend.

Awesome.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have a friend of mine that wants to buy a damascus blade and do the 90 degree test and have it snap back. Then I told him how much one of his knives sold for. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his knives wont do that, maybe if he had that part of the custom. (knowing my friend he wouldn't care if it was a bowie knife or a kitchen knife.)

+ Reply to Thread