What nationality(s) are you?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadillac J

Founding Member
Reaction score
I've always curious about people's backgrounds (not on the forums specifically, but in life in general), especially those who celebrate their nationality/heritage in some way.

Polish(50%), Ukrainian(25%) and Scottish(25%)

Our family only really celebrates the Polish side, as I grew up with homemade dishes from my grandmother/ma/aunts.

What about you guys?

Moravian 50%, now Czech Republic, BRNO area, and Lebanese 50% making me the only Polish-Camel Jockey anywhere. Family reunions only on the Moravian side and food traditions, handed down recipes, only on the Lebanese side.....bipolar family...you know. All that then mixed into the US Southwest cultural traditions.

100% German. On my father's side there seems to be a longer line of rural farmers around the area where my parents still live - atcually, my family still lives in the house that my grandma was born in. On my mother's side it's more colorful with some French hugenottes, some Slowenian, some Austrian, some Bohemian.

Stefan

German, Syrian and a few other things thrown into the mix.. like spices. A touch of American Indian, and a splash of Irish.. with just a pinch of Michigan red neck!

AS far as food, I grew up eating Syrian and middle eastern stuff like Kiba nehe and stuffed grape leaves, shadobe, and lamb and rice. etc, etc. (im sure my spelling is wrong on a few of these) This side of the family gathers often and enjoys the traditional foods.. Recipes past down from generation to generation. I cook a few of these dishes throughout the year to hold us over till we get to really chow down on the good stuff at the family get together's!

Irish. Back to the 12th century. From Galway.

My family has been in America about 80-90 years, but has only found other Irish family. My mother's mother's mother's side is part Cajun somehow. Basically not related.

50% South African 50% English. With some roots in Lithuania.

Feel 100% South African. It will always be my home.

50% German from my mother's side, Welsh, Scot/Irish on my father's side.

i'm unsure of my mother's side, but on my father's side it's German by way of England.

50% english on moms side. Dads side is French Canadian back to 1647 before that Portuguese, when great-great... Granddaddy, left as the roman catholic council to the king of Portugal, married some French noble lady, and caught the next boat to the new world! Gotta love drama!

I'm not as interesting as many of you. English roots on both sides (fifth generation Californian on my mother's side).

75% Italian, 25% Hungarian. Grew up w/ a lot of Italian-American food. Hungarian was largely limited to boiled cabbage, which I hated as a kid and still will not go near :cool2:

Been spending the last few years learning as much as I can about 'real' italian food.

I'm not as interesting as many of you. English roots on both sides (fifth generation Californian on my mother's side).

if we're counting here on the US, both sides of my family were 4th or 5th (i can't keep them straight) Floridian. i was born in Tennessee, on my parent's way back to Florida from New England, so i broke the pattern.

if we're counting here on the US, both sides of my family were 4th or 5th (i can't keep them straight) Floridian.

Wow. That's pretty interesting that both sides would have such deep roots in Florida. Not as interesting is the fact that my grandparents (father's side) retired to Florida from Michigan. As a result, I have been visiting Vero Beach every so often since I was a small boy. Fun place to visit (the state, not necessarily Vero Beach), but not sure I could take it year round.

Wow. That's pretty interesting that both sides would have such deep roots in Florida. Not as interesting is the fact that my grandparents (father's side) retired to Florida from Michigan. As a result, I have been visiting Vero Beach every so often since I was a small boy. Fun place to visit (the state, not necessarily Vero Beach), but not sure I could take it year round.

you only wouldn't want to live there year round because of all the Yankees who visit. ;)

Pennsylvania Dutch,[ which is actually German] back to the 1770's on my fathers side. 3 Maternal grandparents were German immigrants , late 1800's one was english . . they did not speak english at my maternal grandfathers house until he went to kindegarten . i was about 50 when Mom went to the retirement community and gave me her recipe box and cookie cutters ,, first christmas i made the cookies i noticed the cutter for the cinnamon stars were stars of David! Mom? care to explain ?.. she said they were her great grandmothers and her maiden name was German yiddish for theif . And ... yes scrapple is really made from the scraps no mater what the websites say..

German, Irish on my dads side. Scotch-Irish, English on my moms. Originally from eastern Kentucky. No big surprise with that ethnic mix.

Fun topic. I do my family's genealogy as my hobby. Mother's side is all Scottish (both her parents were born there and came over in the early 1900's), from around the Dundee and Glasgow areas (and back to Scottish royalty, through about 6 different name changes). Father's side is Belgian, Irish and Scottish on his father's side and English, German and ultimately Scottish (through New England and Nova Scotia) on his mother's side. So yup, I'm basically Heinz 57, with a large dash of Scotch.

Father's side, Irish to the core (but I don't like cabbage either). Mother's side English/Kiowa. Basically...Californian. <g>

Born and raised in Lancaster PA, but 100% American white boy. I know, not interesting.

I like it out there. The Amish actually do some of the meat cuts I grew up with in Germany, and their produce isvery good quality. Mhh, there is actually a university in West Chester PA that is looking for someone like me, I could move in with Dave :D

Stefan

100% Ukrainian, thought I have lived outside Ukraine for over 20 years now, first in Germany and then in the US.

Consider myself a New Yorker (I lived in the city for over 15 years before moving to Westchester county, but would move back to NYC in a heartbeat) - Giants fan and married to a Chinese-American.

Now, how about them Giants! :)

M

I guess I'm 100% Northern Irish. Sorta funny that it's the other way round with me, I have quite a lot of distant relatives in Canada whom I've always been thinking of visiting but never have

I am 100% Midwest American........My four grand parents are all Italian immigrants.

I'm mostly German with a dash of Irish. My family has been in Oregon for 3 or 4 generations. Grampa Cornelius drove stage coach from the valley to the coast for a living, his pop fit the injuns at battle rock near Bandon.

Ive always found it interesting that Americans never say they are actually American !!

They are always Polish/Irish/Itaian/Norwegian or whatever.

Why dont Americans say they are American ?

Ive always found it interesting that Americans never say they are actually American !!

They are always Polish/Irish/Itaian/Norwegian or whatever.

Why dont Americans say they are American ?

That was the first thing that came to my mind, but I thought the first posts were not in that spirit. I think we all know we are Americans first. Shrug

Back