Quantcast
Who makes a cleaver with a "point"?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a cleaver with a "point"?

Who makes a cleaver with a "point"?

Most, if not all, commercially-available cleavers have a square "point". I'm looking for one with tapered point, perhaps with a cutout 15-30 degrees from the vertical. It seems like this would make it more versatile.

Of course, as a scraper it would not function as effectively, but if the blade is 7-9" long, there's more than enough scraping surface to begin with.

From your description I'm picturing something like a vertically-stretched kiritsuke/kensaki-type tip on a cleaver. If that's the case, nothing off-the-shelf comes to mind, but I think any of the custom makers who make cleavers would be able to craft a version that matches what you have in mind.

With regards to the squared off tips... that far corner on the cleaver is actually pretty fine. Really fine, actually, on a good cleaver - I just happen to have 3 handy right here and checked one - and does any kind of regular gyuto tip work that I've tried without issue.
    Len

Doesn't Mike (mhenry) have a huge Butch Harner gyuto/kiritsuke/cleaver combo knife for sale in the BST? You might want to look at that. I think it was priced pretty well.

The point on a Chinese cleaver is not un-versatile. It's useful for so many different things. You can do some really intricate stuff with one, you just can't bridge your left hand over the spine of the knife, unless your fingers are freakishly long or the food is really big.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    The point on a Chinese cleaver is not un-versatile. It's useful for so many different things. You can do some really intricate stuff with one, you just can't bridge your left hand over the spine of the knife, unless your fingers are freakishly long or the food is really big.
    I hate the bridge/pinch the product with the left hand maneuver.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

How about Maestro Wu? It is probably on the smaller side of the scale compared with 220x110 size that many people use.

Just buy a regular cleaver, send it to Dave, and have him grind in the giant kiritsuke style tip with a belt sander.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Or just grind it in on your King 500!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Nah, I'm talking about something that would look like a vertically-stretched kiritsuke as someone mentioned above.