Quantcast
Headphone Amps?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headphone Amps?

Headphone Amps?

Does anyone out there have any experience with headphone amps? As per my usual method, I purchased a FiiO E6 on Amazon, and now of course I'm doing my research after the fact.

I plan on using it primarily with an mp3 player and the car stereo, but an improvement in sound with my iep's and over ear phones would be nice also. Now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I should've laid out more money and bought a proper full size headphone amp, like one of the ones sold by headroom. If the E6 sucks it won't be a tragedy, since it only cost $26.
    Tom

A friend of mine has one and it is pretty decent, it gave his hard to drive sennheisers a boost. This may make your buds have a tad more bass and clarity as they will have excess power, but it probably won't be a revelation. Should be a boost and do what you want it to do however, especially for the $ put out.

I have one... it was cool for the first few weeks, but now I find I'm not using it soo much.
    Approach life and cooking with reckless abandon

You playing hi-rez digital files, or mp3 quality? If the latter, no sense shelling out the $ for Headroom, etc. If the former, may well be worth the $.

I like my audio like I like my knives. Far too expensive and too fussy! (if you ask my family and friends, that is)

my favorite is the Eddie Current Zana Deux. might be more than you want to spend, though.

Like WildBoar said, if you aren't playing full rez or lossless source material, the HeadRoom is probably overkill. That also goes for using it with anything other than a good set of headphones.

Thanks, all. I'm going to be strictly using it for mp3, so hopefully it'll be worthwhile.
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread