Yellow Coticule?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
I know it's Japanese Natural Stones, but you are in the right part of the world, and I trust your opinion on these things.

Do you ever consider selling some Yellow Coticules? Do you think they are good for kitchen knives?

I'm in love with the idea of a stone who's mud cuts super fast and can polish when kept/rinsed clean. Seems like the perfect quality of a touch-up stone, but I know the abrasives are round garnets and blah blah blah. What do you think?

Hi

I think they are quite expensive :( If you choose knife size, and the ones that is suitable for knives dish to much.
But i have seen some blue coticule that was super nice for knives that i am very interested in.
But they also vary a lot like Jnats some are to hard for knives so i need to ask them for softer ones.
But last time i talked to them, they sad for Blue ones they can get about any size, but for yellow one the, bigger ones is very rare now and they have very hard time to find them.

Hi

I think they are quite expensive :( If you choose knife size, and the ones that is suitable for knives dish to much.
But i have seen some blue coticule that was super nice for knives that i am very interested in.
But they also vary a lot like Jnats some are to hard for knives so i need to ask them for softer ones.
But last time i talked to them, they sad for Blue ones they can get about any size, but for yellow one the, bigger ones is very rare now and they have very hard time to find them.
I'm selling a blue one right now in b/s/t section

unfortunately Coticule prices went really high last year, I think a 8x3" is in the 400 usd range, for that money one can get a superb Jnat

yeah they did get expensive. I didn't know they dish so fast, that's why I asked lol.

It just seems perfect, that even with the blues, you can splash it and polish to touchup, and if it turns out to need more work, let the slurry build and fix it.

this is my approach to maintaining on synthetics, to keep from removing too much metal, seems jnats work backwards from this, unless you use a nagura.

seems jnats work backwards from this, unless you use a nagura.

J-nats for knives are not hard to make slurry on with the knife only, the very fine polishers may be but they are often an overkill anyway.

Doesn't that process put lower grit scratches in the blade that have to be worked out?

Doesn't that process put lower grit scratches in the blade that have to be worked out?
No because after you raise the slurry, you ease the pressure and allow the slurry to break down and refine the initial scratch pattern.
For example you start with 3k slurry but end up with 6k scratch pattern after slurry break down. Because of those properties of J-nats you can pretty much cover 1k to 8-10k range with 2 stones only.

Back