Media Tuna vid I stumbled upon

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
Really nice looking fish here.

[video=youtube;Wp9zogDBbO8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp9zogDBbO8[/video]

:razz:Wouldn't you love to just sit down and sample it all?

We will see in our life time the extinction of these magnificent fish.

Although you are probably right-- we as humans take everything we can to the brink or past of extinction and then wonder what happened afterwards. Sad but true.
That being said, I would still like a bite of this one!!!!

Cool video.

And wasn't Mitsubishi buying bluefin by the ton and freezing it so they could sell it after the fish numbers dwindled? I think the tsunami caused the refrigerators to fail and all that fish was lost though.

k.

Cool video.

And wasn't Mitsubishi buying bluefin by the ton and freezing it so they could sell it after the fish numbers dwindled? I think the tsunami caused the refrigerators to fail and all that fish was lost though.

k.
Yeah, I too heard the Mitsu was building massive freezers to store all the giant blue fin they could catch and buy so they would have the last remaining supply when they become extinct. Hadn't heard about the freezers failing - not surprising. Disgusting and sad all at the same time.

The Japanese are by no means alone in the mistreatment of the oceans. As one example, the Spanish are considered some of the best fisherman (commercial) and there are captains that spend their lives targeting one species around the world (Patagonian Tooth Fish, for one - and happens to be my all time FAVORITE fish to eat), taking all they can possibly catch while avoiding being caught by authorities themselves. They know they are pushing that species to the brink of extinction, but they don't care. They'll catch all of that one species and just move on the next when they're gone.

Just cruz around YouTube for a bit and find eye-watering info...

[video=youtube;dX4v8wyOcns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX4v8wyOcns&feature=relmfu[/video]

That is Kindai--a farm-raised Bluefin. The lack of dark red meat is a dead giveaway that it's a fat, lazy farm animal. Never had to run from or after anything in it's life.

That is Kindai--a farm-raised Bluefin. The lack of dark red meat is a dead giveaway that it's a fat, lazy farm animal. Never had to run from or after anything in it's life.

Didn't know that - thanks for pointing it out.

Even so, what little I know about how tuna are "farm-raised" and it's still a far cry from being sustainable. Basically wild young fish are corralled in giant ocean net-pens, feed prcessed feed (and probably growth hormones to fatten them up quicker as well as anti-biotics to fend of sea lice which flourish in ocean pens) and then slaughtered when they reach a certain size. There's no interest in preserving brood stock, sustainable feed, etc. They're not like salmon that are raised from eggs in hatcheries (and there's nothing good about that either). Tuna are pelagic (open ocean dwelling), as opposed to salmon which are anadromous meaning they live in salt but spawn in freash water in the same place they were born, and less is know about how and where tuna spawn. If you know more/otherwise please enlighten us. Cheers! mpp

No, that's not wrong. Its just the effort toward farm raising them that counts, because it is like farm raising tigers, sharks, grizzlies or eagles for food. They are magnificent, top predators. Why they don't just eat Yellowfin for a little while, I do not know. Yellowfin can be sustainably harvested, and Bluefin(while it does have a flavor all its own), is not THAT much better that we should kill them all, like on the tv show 'Dinosaurs'.

Most frozen tuna for sushi is Yellowfin(Ahi), and when I am at the sushi bar, I like to see fresh tai and frozen tuna.

Back