Quantcast
Had to buy a new car sad day. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had to buy a new car sad day.

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    the new dak is std. cab short bed 4x4 with the 4.7l V8 and a 5 speed stick (its my kind of putbull puckup )
    Now that sounds like a fun truck!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I am in Hawaii - so I need a convertible, I am a big guy - so I don't fit into the small ones, and I don't have any money - so it won't be the BMW M6 convertible...

Stefan
    Mustang? I've driven a few, and they're not all that refined but pretty decent overall ride and the top is really easy to work.

It sounds crazy, but I know some pretty big guys who fit comfortably in their MX-5's (the current generation - not the older ones). Fabulous cars all the way around, but of course they have to endure a never ending stream of jokes from co-workers and friends.

I feel your pain because I went through a similar situation. I had a cherry 1990thunderbird super coupe that was damaged to the point where repair was no longer practical. Due to financial constraints I had to settle on what might be one of the most boring cars ever, a 1998 Toyota camry 4cyl. I will say that their reliability is nice but they have a way of sucking every last drop of enjoyment from driving.

just got back from a trip to NJ and due to the fact that speeds on avg were 70-80 and RPM over 2k i knew MPG was not going to be great (about 19mpg )
    i ave everyday drivig 17 and was hoping to get a hair over 20 (might have on the leg to daves when the speeeds were a bit nicer at 60)

Thanks for the pointers, but I think when people see me getting out of a MX5 or even a Mustang, they will have to laugh Well, a Mustang might work.

About the older Mercedes, that's a great suggestion. Actually, the car I always wanted was the 1996 300CE in the convertible version. Unfortunately, they are getting very hard to find, and prices are going up rather than down last time I looked. But I will keep my eyes open.

Stefan

early '90s 911 (964 model) cabriolet. Remount the seat down on the floor to gain the headroom you need. Great for the windy roads out there!

I had a used 190E AMG once that was really a hoot. Crappy in the snow, tho...............
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I had a used 190E AMG once that was really a hoot. Crappy in the snow, tho...............
    That's not really one of my concerns out here

Maybe I gotta check with a friend who is the manager of the local Porsche-Jaguar-Landrover place. Considering my financial setup (don't go into academia for the money...), I never even thought about asking him. But a 20+ year old Porsche may come into reach.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    After 11 years of service my Sentra was totaled by a 16 year old last week, had her license for 3 weeks. Tonight I went and got a Camry, just another member of the pack, my wife wasn't feeling the Taurus so we ended up with a Camry. I hope my accelerator doesn't jam, hope it lasts as long as they used to anyway.
    A few months ago, NASA engineers who investigated the supposed jamming on Toyota vehicles, released their report, that all the incidents were caused either by floor mats improperly installed at the dealers or driver error. None of the incidents were due to a design flaw or mechanical failure.

The Secretary of Transportation who got quite a bit of publicity haranguing Toyota, when confronted with the report, came up with a weak reply, that included a euphemism for the foot hitting the gas, instead of the brakes. I can't remember the term but it was classic government speak.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    But a 20+ year old Porsche may come into reach.

Stefan
    Are you handy with a wrench? Replacement parts easy to come by in the islands? From a cost (and time) standpoint it can sometimes be a killer to stretch your budget for an older car like this and then have to deal with the issues that inevitably arise. Unless you're a real car nut and don't really mind! :smile1: