Quantcast
Had to buy a new car sad day. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Had to buy a new car sad day.

what about an M3 convt.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    That's not really one of my concerns out here

Maybe I gotta check with a friend who is the manager of the local Porsche-Jaguar-Landrover place. Considering my financial setup (don't go into academia for the money...), I never even thought about asking him. But a 20+ year old Porsche may come into reach.

Stefan
    I just sold a 1987 911 Targa. I would tread very lightly in looking at older 911's. They are fantastic and the small maintenance is a breeze with parts being reasonable but the bigger items are a killer. I had an engine issue where I starting consuming 1 Qt of oil every 200 miles. Something was wrong in the #5 cylinder/head, most likely valve guides. After checking the plug (filthy) and compression testing (bad) I took it to a well respected shop that a friend of mine owns.

Long story short was best case scenario $5K, worst case $15K and know way to know which scenario until the motor was out and apart. The car had some rust and a funky title so I cut my losses and sold it as is. If you buy an older 911 just make sure you have at least $10K sitting around as a security net cause sooner or later you are going to need it.

Sean

We have a saying on our Porsche BBS -- all older 911s are $20k cars If shopping for an 80s vintage, definitely look for one that has had a rebuild by a reputable shop (and has all the paperwork from the rebuild). There are plenty of '80s 911s for sale in the $10k-$16k range right now (on the mainland, at least)

Shouldn't Stefan be driving around the island in one of those Ferraris like Magnum PI?

Here you go! Just needs a little work!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Wouldn't a helicopter make a little more sense?

OOh-ooh!!! A huey cobra replica on a cheap chopper frame!! I love it!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig