Perhaps a gold knife is in your future?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and you thought that the Kramer knives made of steel were expensive, wait until you get a load of his gold blades!

Actually the resharpening fee would probably be prohibitive, considering how many stones an belts he would go through:bigeek:

In my opinion Vickers is not the most applicable method for this, but the ivory tower people like it. They are calling out "tempered steel" to be approximately 55 HRc and this gold composite to be comparable to around 70 HRc.

-AJ

In my opinion Vickers is not the most applicable method for this, but the ivory tower people like it. They are calling out "tempered steel" to be approximately 55 HRc and this gold composite to be comparable to around 70 HRc.

-AJ

I wonder, is gold fine grained?

It can only be scratched by diamond, eh?

It would be interesting to know how our favorite knife steels would work if used instead of gold in this same process.

It's the addition of boron carbide to the gold which makes the difference. So my question is: is this boron carbide only able to be dissolved in gold or can it be added to steel? I've always wondered what would happen if you added sub micron diamonds to steel.

It's the addition of boron carbide to the gold which makes the difference. So my question is: is this boron carbide only able to be dissolved in gold or can it be added to steel? I've always wondered what would happen if you added sub micron diamonds to steel.

my understanding is that they build a boron carbide substrate and inject the gold into that, filling the space between the boron. They don't actually mix the two together. They both remain two distinct components.

Heck I am wondering how I can get Devin, Del, Dave or some of the other great knife makers here to play with this and make me a 270mm laser gyuto...and the cost to make said knife.

So basically this material is just like cemented carbide, except worse?

Back