Completed Island

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
Just finished! Two applications of Danish Oil on the base, two applications of mineral oiil on the top followed by buffing with my high speed buffer with Board Butter. SMOOOOOOTH!

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

that is a sight better than my Ikea "butcher block topped" island.

Awesome. What are the specs on that thing?

It always makes me feel a bit inadequate when I see what a real woodworker can do... Great piece, David!

Stefan

Awesome. What are the specs on that thing?

8" x 24" x 48", 36" high and weighs about 200 pounds complete. The legs are 3 3/4" square and the drawer is full extension. The knife holder is quite simple, just 5 slots. The casters are swiveling casters with the two under the drawer are locking. The finish is Danish oil so if there are any bumps along the way, it can be repaired easily and quickly.

Stefan - Don't sell your efforts short. Your handles are impressive!

What a great piece of work. :ubersexy:

It always makes me feel a bit inadequate when I see what a real woodworker can do... Great piece, David!

Stefan

i don't know, i think you do about as well as somebody who lives in freaking Hawaii could possibly do. if i were distracted by those beaches, i doubt i could tie my shoes. ;)

i don't know, i think you do about as well as somebody who lives in freaking Hawaii could possibly do. if i were distracted by those beaches, i doubt i could tie my shoes. ;)

LOL, it's less the beaches themselves, more the scantily clad ladies that can be a bit distracting...

LOL, it's less the beaches themselves, more the scantily clad ladies that can be a bit distracting...

Wood and beaches. Does kind of go together, doesn't it? I love the ladies!

Stefan

Almost my thoughts exactly! Haha. I thought, "Man, do I ever feel pedestrian looking at this work of art".

Seeing it, I do regret that my need for something like that is well in the future. Possibly not until/if I leave California. Especially in a beach city, what you would have to pay for that kind of space would be insane.

That looks really great! I wish I had a kitchen large enough to have one of those!!!! :cool2:

I have to say that makes any islands/ carts I've seen by Boos look like they should be in a Barbie playhouse.

Very nice work, Dave!

Damn, if I hadn't just redone my kitchen, I would redo it just to get one of those.:doublethumbsup: Great work!

WOW, that is nice!

I'm off to calculate shipping to Norway... ;-)

I want to see this baby installed in the new owner's kitchen!

Actually it was delivered today, to a deli. I haven't heard anything yet as to how it was received but hope they find it to be what they were expecting. Hopefully I will be able to see some photos of it in use in the deli.

Back