Quantcast
I need a Deer hunter's help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a Deer hunter's help

I need a Deer hunter's help

Deer hunter/cook needed

I need some deer tallow (rendered fat) I can't find it for sale anywhere. I also cant think of a better place to ask, hunters here like knives and like to cook. Any one feel like playing around in the kitchen after a hunt?
    Elk would also work.
    It's also pretty cold here so if you don't want to render fat in your kitchen you could likely just freeze it and ship it, fat won't go bad as long as there's no blood or meat still hanging off of it.

Typically it is sold to make soap, so I'd check with some soap people.

I googled anad found this contact from 2009, she sells deer tallow for $2/lb:
    Kay Bright
    Kajon Farm Soaps and Dairy Goats
    kajonfarm@yahoo.com

Wish I could help. We usually save some good stuff to feed the birds / squirrels through the winter months. No deer this year, luckily I still have some meat left from last year. Good luck finding some. Mind me asking what you are making with it?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post

Kay Bright
    kajonfarm@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post

Kay Bright
    kajonfarm@yahoo.com
    Thanks, ill keep that email in the bullpen but I am still hopping I can get it on the cheap, got to be a deer hunter here? And tallow is sooooo easy to make. I did a search to and came up with all kinds of sights selling beef tallow, some for about the same ($2.00 lb), i get duck fat for less then that. Makes me want to go into the tallow making business.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    Wish I could help. We usually save some good stuff to feed the birds / squirrels through the winter months. No deer this year, luckily I still have some meat left from last year. Good luck finding some. Mind me asking what you are making with it?
    venison confit

I am not a cook, so take this for what it is worth, but from what I have heard, most people don't use deer fat because it supposedly goes nasty rancid VERY quickly.

Ok, my first recommendation if you are going to confit is to not use venison fat. Venison has been my primary protein for the majority of my life and I have found that as soon as you are done cooking any fat will solidify extremely quickly and will have a dense almost chalky texture. My father and I butcher all of our deer by hand and we trim the majority of the fat off of the meat and only leave a little on some of the chunks that we save for sausage.

My experience especially as I have expanded other methods/styles of cooking it is to incorporate other fats with it to keep it moist. A good smoked bacon or pork fat is one of my favorites. I have never used it but if I were to make a confit, I would seriously consider using duck fat. I think the texture and flavor of duck would be excellent.

My two cents - however if you do decide to use some rendered venison fat, I wish you luck and would love to know how it turns out. I am always game to learn something new.

As to keeping it / storing - keep it frozen as much as possible.

Yeah my experience is the deer fat tastes nasty, that might be why you find it difficult to find. When I would cook venison we would always trim it as lean as possible. And as DeepCSweede said. when we ground venison, we still trimmed it as lean as possible and then added beef fat in. For us it was a taste issue.

-AJ