Suggestion for first jnat?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
What is your go-to suggestion for a first jnat? Assuming they already know a good deal about sharpening, synthetics, and whatnot.

Just trying to find out what is a good practical stone, like what would you suggest for one jnat for a home user?

I'd love to buy one, but there are so many, and the prices/reviews/opinions vary widely.

I bought my first one from the BST forum, then I sought the wisdom of Maxim when I wanted one for knives.
I am happy with the results.

If you like harder stone try this yaginoshima,, but if you like softer stone try this hakka. Both are from Maksim, and should be a good polisher for single bevel knives. Jon does not have Takashima in stock, which is also a good soft beginner friendly stone too.

It really depend on what stones you like, hard, soft and what finish and knives you use most. You can not rely on any reviews because all stones is individual.
I usually recommend softer one first as it is easier to use and bild up mud on its own. Harder ones you have to use more pressure and more control, but nagura can help.

i have 3 and like them all .. my first was an Aoto from Japanwoodworker. i use it a lot. the next was an awase toshi from the same place it is a hard stone and as inexpensive and a good entry to JNats. I got the larger size of the one Jon carries an i leave it out all the time for touch up it is a nice stone i think it would be classified as soft but i am a noob with JNats.

I like my stones extremely hard, versatile, and I am ok with less feedback.

Keep in mind, I learned to sharpen on a Shapton Pro 2k. Hard, silent, and fast are ok with me!

Is there a Jnat that can be used exclusively though, or does one always need a coarse one and a fine one?

Been drooling over that Mizukihara for a while :running:

I'd suggest two stones when time and money allows.
One softer stone that can get you ~6k finish it wil lbe good for traditional knives and westerns too.

After that a harder stone that will not scratch traditional knives and gets you in the 10k+ range.
This system would be very versatile IMHO.

Back